Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Prop blowing out while tubing

cregeis1
cregeis1 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
We have a new 2015 Sundeck 2200DC with a Yamaha F250 4.2 and are experiencing significant prop blow outs (not sure of the technical term whether it is ventilation or cavitation) while tubing.  I am not making that sharp of turns but still the prop loses it bite and speed drops way down.  Does anyone know what causes this and what can be done to correct it?  I did have the dealer drop the engine down to the lowest mounting hole however this has not helped much.  Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments

• Drexx3
    Drexx3 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Where is your motor trim when making the turns? Assuming you may have it up, try trimming all the way down and see if that helps. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 Sundeck 2400 OB w/Yamaha F250
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

How do you like your new 2200 DC OB?  I have the same boat on order right now, but with the F200 since I don't do any tubing or skiing.

• cregeis1
    When we tube, the trim is all the way down.

We love the 2200DC!  It rides much better than our old 187.  We choose the F250 because we often have a full boat load and like to tube, wakeboard and ski.  I imagine the F200 is more than adequate for those who do not need to pull up a skier.  With the F250, our top speed is 50 mph.  We also love the electronic controls and digital guages.  Did you get the F200XCA?
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

Thanks.  The Yamaha engine that I ordered if the F200XB.  Its the new 4 cylinder inline engine that is more than 100 pounds lighter than the XCA V6 is.

• Drexx3
    Maybe consider changing the title of this thread?
  • cregeis1
    Sorry about the digression, I can't believe I am the only one who is experiencing the blowouts.  Any recommendations on how to cure it?  Also, those who do not tube, turn your boat over hard at 20-24mph and see if you to have a blowout.  Thanks!
  • Drexx3
    Sure. In fact, I replied to your original post before M99 asked how you like the boat. Typically, you need to trim all the way down when you turn, especially if turning hard over. In your original post however you said you're not making that sharp of turns? A 4-blade prop can help too but that is a more involved (possible) solution, obviously. What is your engine trim at when you're turning?
  • cregeis1
    Thanks Drexx3,  when tubing or wake boarding, I have the motor trimmed all of the way down although I experimented with raising it slightly to no avail.  I did have the dealer drop the engine down to the lowest mounting position and that did help a little.

I would definitely consider a 4 blade prop as the boat tops out at 50 mph which is more than enough.  I wouldn't care if the top speed dropped to 45 if it corrected the blow outs.  Don't 4 blade props also plane off at lower speeds?
  • BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    GS 194 Suzuki 150 and yes I do have prop blow out at times while tubing.  To me, it is not a big deal.  If I am on the lake pulling kids on a tube, it is about having fun.  A little blow out want ruin my day...  I let off, lower the trim some more if I have forgotten to and get back on the gas.  Best of luck!