Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

On-Board Battery Charger?

Options
rdcastle
rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
I keep my 2001 GS201 in a lift on my dock. There is, of course, power and water available there. I don't get to run the boat as much as I would like to and so the single battery on board loses charge over time. I am seriously thinking of installing an on-board charger, a second battery, and a Blue Sea mini add-a-battery kit. I was thinking that I would only connect the charger to one battery (house) and thus be able to operate the bilge pump in automatic mode since the boat is not covered and will collect a fair amount of rainwater over a couple of weeks. Using the dual-circuit plus switch in the add-a-battery kit would allow me to combine the batteries should the starting battery be too weak on its own. Any observations re: this plan?
Rob Castle
2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you're going down a good path.  I have an on-board charger (three bank) and a Automatic Charging Relay (ACR) type device called Charge-on-the-Run from Dual Pro Charging Systems.  I like the product you are looking at from Deep Sea.  But I'm curious as to why you are not putting in a dual bank charger as well instead of just the single bank?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well I guess my thinking was that charging both batteries and maintaining them would make battery maintenance more of a headache but really the only reason I had was just to keep the bilge pump happy. I will probably end up with a two-bank unit for the simple reason that I dont want to be zapping a single battery with higher amperage. There seems to be a big gap in amperage capacity between the single and double chargers. For this application 4 amps would be great but they are harder to find it seems. I didnt mention that both batteries are flooded cell types and not maintenance free.
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection