Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Is the 115 Yamaha Four Stroke engine enough power for a 2006 Sun Deck 195 ?

Options
tdbell2
tdbell2 Member Posts: 2
I just bought a Hurricane Sun Deck 195 with the 115 Yamaha with 156 hrs on it.. I have to sell my 17 ft Boston Whaler before I can put my Hurricane in the water. I boat in the Gulf of Mexico and I hope the Hurricane will give me a better ride. I was told that the 150 Yamaha was a better motor for my boat. A lot of 195's have the 115 engine so it can not be that bad. My wife and I only will use the Hurricane.  Any feedback?

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    From a guys perspective, bigger is always better.  From my wife's perspective, who doesn't like to go fast because it messes up her hair, size is not important.  

I think it will depend on what you plan to do with the boat.  Cruising around with the wife, fishing, etc., and you should be just fine.  Doing water sports like wake boarding, skiing, or towing a tube, and you may find yourself wishing for more power.   
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • powerhouse
    powerhouse Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same combo and although I haven't taken it out into open water, i've taken it out to a nice size lake near by.  It performed really good speeding across the lake and cruising around.  I may end up towing a tube but I wouldn't be wanting to go as fast as the boat went on the lake.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    I have a 2007 SD195 with a Suzuki DF175.  It's a heavy boat that's rated for up to 200 hp and needs good power if you plan any heavy loads or water sports.   For 2 people without anything in tow a 115 should be ok.  That's what my dealer suggested when I bought my boat.   
  • powerhouse
    powerhouse Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just noticed OP has SD, I have a FD.  So mine is probably considerably lighter.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a FD196, different boat, same issue. Mine has the 115 but is rated for 150. Many times I have wanted more power, never have I wanted less.