Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Where will I find the drain plug on the 217.

bobmay
bobmay Member Posts: 3
I have always relied on the bilge pump to remove water from the bilge but with so much rain here in Tampa lately I'm thinking I should remove the drain plug and let it self drain. I am not sure of its location. I know, it sounds like a dumb question.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Owners Forum, bobmay!

The drain plug is located directly behind the drive at the lowest point of the hull.  My hull has a step down below the transom so you may have to look under the boat to see it.

I apologize for this picture, it was the best one I had showing the transom of my boat (which is just a longer version of your boat).  Hope this helps!

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• bobmay
    Thank you. My 217 is an outboard and the drain isn't located the same as the IO. I think it is an internal lever in the bilge. 
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Its in the very center tucked under the transom a little on the lowest part of the keel.  It is a standard size drain plug that you remove from the outside with a wrench.  The levered valve inside the bilge is probably your live well drain.  Not the greatest photo, but this will give you an idea of where to look for the drain plug (see the white/red arrow below):

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • bobmay
    Perfect, thank you.
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    bobmay, with my older 217 I've found that cranking up the tongue wheel to the max helps the bilge drain but even then there's still some water trapped in the bilge somewhere that finds its way to the stern only when I'm backing down the ramp to launch. By then I've put the plug in. It's nice to see confirmation that the bilge pump is working, though I'd rather not have the water accumulating in there to start with (presumably while sitting outside for more than a week in the rain, through the anchor locker and cupholders that are exposed even when the mooring covers are in place).
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• andrewlee93
    andrewlee93 Member Posts: 2
    Dumb question, but if the drain plug is at the bottom, what is the round hole with a brass surrounding to the port of the motor.  I was swimming and noticed this hole was open and panicked and thought my drain plug was missing.  I then realized if the drain plug was missing the boat would have obviously sunk. Is it the intake for the live well?
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The white plastic housing to the right of the drain plug (shown in the above posted picture) is the intake for the livewell, the drain hole to the left is usually the livewell drain.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer