Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane's SUCK!

Options
Tarlac148
Tarlac148 Member Posts: 1

I purchased a new Hurricane 188 with a 150 Suzuki from a local dealer in 2012. I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas (Galveston) so I almost exclusively use the boat in salt water. I am 60 years old, have had several boats over my lifetime and can without hesitation state THIS BOAT SUCKS!

We had the boat less than 2 months when the engine froze up. The dealer said it was impossible, but the lower shaft bearing froze while running down the intercoastal and left us stranded for 3 hours! The engine had only 16 hours on it at the time. The live bait well worked for maybe 2 months then died! The running lights work intermittently and when trying to make a tight turn at speed the back end of the boat cavitates so badly the only way to control it is to throttle down then back up. Last year the electronics stared going haywire and when I took it to the dealer for repairs they said the wiring at the switches had become corroded! Needless to say, I am not impressed with the boat. It is too heavy, too underpowered and turning performance is terrible. For a combination fish and ski boat it does both poorly! (It's not bad pulling a skier in a straight line, but who does that?)

I won't even begin to mention the crappy hardware installed on the boat. None of it is salt water compatible. Almost all is either cheap plastic ( Bimini top cleats) or cheaper chromed (cleats, horns, etc) which has flaked or pitted. Just to clarify, I do know boats and boat maintenance. When the boat come out of the water it is thoroughly washed, waxed, engine flushed then covered. Needless to say, I will never buy or own another Hurricane!

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the Owners Forum!

Sorry to hear about your experience with your boat, as most owners have experienced something different (including myself). Sounds like you have an equal beef with Suzuki as well.  Hopefully you posted something regarding that on the appropriate forums.

The SS187 and SD188 are considered the entry level boats (read "price point" models), so upgrades (like stainless steel components) are extra.  Why a Hurricane dealer knowing boats they sell would probably be on salt water in his area and doesn't order his boats with the upgraded stainless components or strongly recommend them, I can't understand.  My dealer upgrades to the stainless hardware on all his in-stock boats and his clientele are mostly based on fresh water.  All my hardware (some standard (like bimini), some optional (like rubrail, speaker grills, cup holders) has been holding up very well, so far.

Electrical problems on any boat (with maybe the exception of high end yachts, and I'm not really sure about them either) is usually a Nemesis due to the environment, add salt water/air to the mix and it compounds the problem.  My experience in boat ownership has been it's not "if", but "when" you'll have electrical problems.  Usually, most are common and participating in forums like this can often save you some time in finding and repairing them.  I'm on many boating forums and electrical problems is often the longest list of posts.  I had initial issues with my boat, but my dealer fixed them and I've been good going into my 4th season (knock on wood!).

Thank you for sharing you experience with us.  I do hope you feel better in posting your first message as one of frustration to our members as one of never buying a Hurricane again.  I hope you do realize that although Hurricanes may have issues from time to time, most members are very happy with their Hurricane which makes you more of an exception than a rule.  We all wish your experience had been more in line with ours.

Best of luck in your next boat purchase.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Bought mine as loaded as they come, stainless everything, love the boat, out performs deck boats of same size and power every time, sending the post from right here at this raft up party, hope everyone else is having a good day!