Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

cigarette lighter plug

Options
HydroCanis
HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
Silly little item, but I don't want to replace it again. The back of the 12V plug on the dash separated. I was going to try epoxy but it said "not for polypropylene or polyethylene", which I suspect is the case. My plastic cement says "not for areas with heat or wet" and I doubted it would hold anyhow. So I'm just going to order one. Has anyone acquired one they're happy with that has mounting screw holes that match the factory installation? I use it frequently for air pumps, etc.
David
2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

Comments

• DavidPJ
    DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Options
    I just replaced mine on my '99 and it was made by Seadog. It was an exact fit. Maybe post a picture so we can help identify it.
    1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP
  • HydroCanis
    Options

This looks like the one I have—a Sea Dog. I'd rather not buy another one of the same model as the rear was just waiting to break loose, but I can't tell if the mounting holes on the other models are spaced the same and would prefer not to drill more holes in the dash.
    David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• HydroCanis
    Options
    Hmm... I see from Sea-Dog's site that a steel model they make does not have the same hole spacing.
    David

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just maybe another option.  Marinco usually makes higher quality marine grade electrical products.  They have a cigarette lighter socket that secures with a screw ring against the back of the instrument panel.  You might be able to remove the existing socket from it's panel (either cut/drill it out or Dremel it out) and install something like this unit on it, so you don't have to worry about getting a replacement with the screw holes lining up.

Here's the link to the webpage:

http://www.marinco.com/en/12vrc-pt-oem

Just a thought........

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• DavidPJ
    DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Options
    If you decide to purchase another of the same, I bought mine from Amazon as shown here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R4QT2W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
    It looks like the same picture as you posted. The only thing wrong with the Seadog socket that I replaced was the little rubber tab for the cap was broken. I was afraid I was going to lose the cap someday, so I just replaced the whole thing. It looked exactly like the one I replaced, and the mounting holes were identical.

1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP
  • HydroCanis
    Options
    Thanks DavidPJ, certainly is the cheapest and easiest fix. Thanks, cjjjdeck, easy to remove old one, leaves predrilled screwholes in dash panel. I like the looks of that unit, maybe I'll just cut a rectangular piece to cover the holes.
    David