Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Over Charging? 14.4 > 14.6 v

I have a SS201OB w 150 Yamaha OB, I add a second battery with a 
Mini Add-A-Battery Kit - 65A - Blue Sea Systems
For some reason one battery went dead. Started the OB on both battery.
Volt meter on the boat reads 16+ volts, add the batteries it reads 14.4 idle and 14.6 2k rpms.
Is this normal? Could it be over charging? I don't remember the volt meter reading that high on the boat.
Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

Unless at least one battery was connected to the Alternator, there would be no voltage output. An alternator will not produce any voltage unless it has incoming voltage to the field. So if it reads 16V, there is at least one battery in the circuit. A reading of around 14.4V to 14.6V is OK if you have a dead battery in the circuit and the alternator and regulator are putting out near max to try to charge that bad battery.  Take a VOM and test each battery with the battery switches turned off. You'll probably find a battery with at least one dead cell. Oh, and the Volt meter on the boat should never read more than around 14.6V for more than a few seconds. The regulator is supposed to prevent that.

• tom8909
    tom8909 Member Posts: 11
    With OB off Batteries read 12.5v, running they read 14.4 to 14.6 with my dig meter.
    Never goes over 14.6v is this normal?
  • tom8909
    tom8909 Member Posts: 11
    Just came in from abt hour on the lake. both batteries 13.1v disconnected and still 14.6v both connected and running.
  • M99
    M99 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    That sounds about perfect to me. The 14.6V while running sounds like either the Voltage Regulator may be just a tad high, but not a problem, or if you have an electrical load such as a live well or water pump on, and those may draw some current and cause the VR to allow a higher V+ output.  Its not a concern either way.  A 100% perfectly charged battery, with no load at all on it, would read 13.2V assuming the gauge was accurate.