Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

speedometer not working.

Options
asturbama
asturbama Member Posts: 11
Finally got the boat to the lake and find out the speedometer is not working. Anybody has any input about this issue.. any ideas of where should start looking. I have a 2002 GS 211

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If its an analog gauge, then the most common problem is a clogged pilot hole for the pickup tube.  These gauges use water pressure to determine speed.  If anything clogs the water line running to the gauge it will stop working.  My Yamaha outboard speedometer system seems to stop working about once per season due to a little dirt, or debris in the pilot hole on the engine.  I carry a small wire to run in the hole to clean it and get it working.  If you have an outboard look for a very small hole on the leading edge of the engine.  If you have an inboard, the pilot for the speedometer will be attached to the transom someplace.  

I also have a GPS speedometer gauge, which is actually much more accurate, on my GPS/Fish-finder, so I use it 99% of the time anyhow.  
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • Skarfy
    Skarfy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Agree with Ernest T.  One quick way to check if your tube is clogged is to disconnect it from the back of the gauge, and blow into it.  If you (or your assistant) hear the air at the motor, or see the bubbles if boat is in water, than your tube is clear.  Reconnect, double check conx at motor...often that is the culprit, more so than a bad gauge.
  • 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Options
    yeah, mine comes and goes.  It has worked perfectly the last few months.  Almost exactly inline with my GPS mph...  
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • asturbama
    asturbama Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Finally got to the lake and tested the speedo and works fine now. Thank you guys for the tips.