Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How to winterize?

davidlnelson
davidlnelson Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I have a 2015 Sundeck SS 188 with a 150 HP Yamaha OB.  I live where the winters are somewhat mild, Virginia, but we still freeze and get moderate snow.

Thanks,
David

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    With an outboard you have options.  I have the same engine, and I keep mine running well into the cold months for fishing purposes.  Since an outboard basically is self draining when you put the engine down after removing the boat from the water the cooling water drains out, so there is no water in the system to freeze or cause problems.  So, as far as the engine goes, there is really no winterization necessary other than letting it self drain.  However, I always change the oil, oil filter, fuel filters, and do the engine service at the end of the season.  I've always heard it is better not to let old oil sit in the engine over the winter, plus everything is ready to go in the spring.  

There is much debate about how to handle the fuel tank for the winter.  You have the choice of either topping it off, or emptying it (either method is supposed to help prevent condensation water contamination of the fuel system).  I top mine off, and add Stabil-Marine fuel stabilizer.  I also highly recommend adding Yamaha Ring Free Plus to your fuel system if you are a Yamaha owner.  I put this in my fuel at every fill-up.  It keeps carbon build up off the rings and valves.    

You do need to worry about winterizing your fresh water system.  I empty mine and pour in a gallon of RV antifreeze and run this through both of the faucets.  The pump can freeze if you don't do this.

If you have a livewell that you use, you may also need to drain that system.  I just open the valves on the inlet line and outlet and it drains itself enough to prevent any problems.  Some guys in colder climates may need to blow air through the system to get out pockets of water.   
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • davidlnelson
    Thanks for the information.  That really helps.  I have considered using the Ring Free Plus but have not put any in yet.

• DavidPJ
    DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    What do you think about changing the lower unit oil annually? I have mine changed with the annual late fall oil change because I've read and heard that the lower unit could develop water/condensation which could freeze and damage it. Also, is it good practice to slightly till the motor upwards for better water drainage? Thanks.
    1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Yes the lower unit oil should be changed in the fall, even if you haven't used it much, if there is any water in it you want to get it out of there, it's a good practice to trim the motor up and down a few times to be sure that all the water is out, and leave it level for storage.

I know everyone has their own opinions on if the fuel tank should be empty or full during storage but the engine manufacturers recommend leaving it full, that way there is no room for condensation to build, I always top off the tank and add stabilizer and run the motor for a few minutes, then change the lower unit oil. Not sure about Yamaha but Mercury recommends removing the spark plugs and spraying in one ounce of fogging oil into each cylinder, then replace spark plugs, disconnect fuel pump and bump the key to get the fogging oil spread to all parts.
  • dward0
    dward0 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Seeing lots of concern about freezing in this thread, but what about keeping critters out of the boat all winter? Lots of wires and upholstery to chew on...
    1991 Fundeck FD196 Fish and Fun
    1990 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I agree with changing the gear case oil each year.  I do that as part of the engine service.  

I haven't figured out how to keep out the critters.  We get a birds nest about every year inside the Bimini cover, plus a couple of mud dauber nests.  Nothing yet that has chewed on anything.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    dward0 said:
    Seeing lots of concern about freezing in this thread, but what about keeping critters out of the boat all winter? Lots of wires and upholstery to chew on...
    Up north here, the boats get shrink-wrapped after being serviced.  this prevent critters from getting in.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• davidlnelson
    Thanks everyone. I'm pretty clear now on what to do.