Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Planing problems

Hi, I've got a brand new SS 188 I/O and I'm having trouble planing.  I'm trimmed all the way down, give it a WOT and the bow sticks up in the air, the stern feels like it's getting sucked under the water to the point where water is coming over my stern swim platform and it's scaring my kids!  That often leads me to back off.  If I stick with it, it does sometimes plane, but I can't imagine tubing or wake boarding like this.

My dealer is working on the boat today, and feels a different propeller is a solution.  But I've got to admit I'm nervous.  I've had the boat one day.  :-(

Any advice?

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    You may have done this already, but check your weight distribution on your boat.  If everyone is all sitting in the back seating areas and you have most of your heavy gear stored back there as well, you can easily have a condition you are describing, especially with a 19 foot boat.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• brandon3600
    brandon3600 Member Posts: 6
    I was having the same problem with my 2014 188ss i/o and I got the dealer and hurricane involved they ended up getting mercury out to look at the boat and they put a different prop on now the issue am have is proposing when I start timing they went from the factory 23" 3blade to a 17" 5 blade so watch what they put on I can only run 20 MPhil with 2 people and 40 to 45 with 4 or more  adults I have contacted the dealer and hurricane about the issue and they have a prop expert coming to look at the boat in 2 weeks to hopefully resolve the issue I hope you don't have  to go through all of this to get your boat going.
  • mijade
    mijade Member Posts: 5
    We have sundeck 217 , we also had some problems planning. We put some smart tabs on our boat which solved the problem for us. Hope this helps.
  • SweetLou
    SweetLou Member Posts: 2

We've got a new prop and are going to try t this weekend.  I'll let everyone know.

Where can I get info on smart tabs?

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I second mijade's suggestion:  Try a set of Smart Tabs.  Planning speed was significantly reduced on my boat.  Bow rise also reduced.  Do a search, on Smart Tabs and see many happy customers..................many happy Hurricane customers also.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    I had this problem on a past I/O boat we owned. On my 2001 GS 201 w/ 150 v-6 Yamaha 2 stroke however, I just nudge the throttle up to about 2500 rpms for 10 seconds and we are planing. Love this boat and low speed planing capability.

Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection