Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2013 Hurricane Deck SS201 - Speedometer stopped working

Speedometer just stopped working this weekend..all other gauges working. Can not find a pilot hole to clean out that has been suggested on other sites. Any ideas?

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a manual (not GPS) speedometer, it is activated by air pressure built up while under way in a tube called the pitot tube.  The tube is connected to the back of your speedometer and usually goes to a section on your engine's drive housing that has an entry hole on the side of the engine that faces the transom.  Most often, that area is where most problems occur.  It requires cleaning out the entry hole using a piece of stiff wire (like paper clip, pipe cleaner, drill bit not connected to a drill etc.)  Your engine manual should show you where the location is.

Here's a diagram of the back of the Faria speedometer:

Here's a decent YouTube video on cleaning out a pitot tube on a Yamaha outboard that you might find useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQ3opX9yhU

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot!  I also have the Faria Manual Speedometer troubleshooting sheet that you might find helpful as well.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer