Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Ideas on cleaning and repairs needed

Options
powerhouse
powerhouse Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
Finally getting back to working on the boat (had our first baby earlier this year) and need some help on a few things.  First, I'm not happy with the way my gauge panel looks.  I removed the old fish finder that came with the boat and installed a Garmin 441 that I removed from my other boat.  I used 3/8" (I believe) starboard to cover the hole from the old fish finder and to mount the new one.  But it's just not sitting well with me.  Any ideas to make the finished product look better?

Also I noticed the inside of the side panels behind the sofa is still discolored after cleaning.  Any recommendations on how to fix this?  Thanks.
2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The good news is the material you used to remount your Garmin is awesome marine grade stuff (I love StarBoard).  The bad news is High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) does not take to painting well.  I actually thought you did a pretty good job on that install, but if you;re not satisfied with it, you may want to consider contacting a marine fabricator.  That way he can make you a new instrument panel and have it fit exactly the way you want it.  You'd be surprised how much a new helm dash panel dresses up your boat.

Here's a link to a thread mentioning one fabricator that some of the forum members have used with pretty good success and they seem to be very reasonably priced:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1749/replacement-helm-dash-panels

As far as the aluminum panels go, you may want to use an aluminum brightener.  Just Google "aluminum brightener" and you'll see a whole bunch of options.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• powerhouse
    Options
    Thanks for the info and compliment.  After looking at pictures in that thread seems ordering new panels would be worth it for the price.  Along with gauge panel I will likely have the switch panel done and a solid plate made to cover the hole where I removed the breakers.  I will give the aluminum brightener a try.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • campre
    campre Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Mix a solution of 50% outdoor bleach (available at Publix or home improvement stores) and 50 % water in a pump sprayer.  Saturate the panels, scour with a brush and let sit for 20 minutes then wash off.  You'll be amazed how clean the panels will come.  Also works on rubber trim, seats, etc.
  • RuddsRetreat
    RuddsRetreat Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Options
    I use starboard all the time, great stuff.  I'm looking at your install and wondering how it would look if you went with black starboard.  Since everything is trimmed in black, you would be surprised how much it will blend. 
  • powerhouse
    Options
    campre said:
    Mix a solution of 50% outdoor bleach (available at Publix or home improvement stores) and 50 % water in a pump sprayer.  Saturate the panels, scour with a brush and let sit for 20 minutes then wash off.  You'll be amazed how clean the panels will come.  Also works on rubber trim, seats, etc.
    Thanks for the advice.  I'll give that a try.
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • powerhouse
    Options
    I use starboard all the time, great stuff.  I'm looking at your install and wondering how it would look if you went with black starboard.  Since everything is trimmed in black, you would be surprised how much it will blend. 
    That actually would look 10 times betters than it does now.  I'm probably going to replace gauge panel due to it cracking and de-laminating
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115