Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Boat doesn't track well

07FD202
07FD202 Member Posts: 3
Hello:

Just purchased a 07 Sun Deck 201 with a 150hp 2 Stroke. At any speed (Well haven't had it out over 20mph yet), the boat is constantly tracking to either the port or starboard. You compensate for that and then it starts tracking the opposite way. It is tiring on the arms with constantly making steering corrections.

I would not feel at all comfortable  trying to pass a boat in a tight channel, as you're constantly fighting to keep it straight.

The boat has hydraulic steering

Is this normal for a Hurricane deck boat. I cant believe it is.

I have owned several boats over my years and have never had a boat this hard to keep it straight and controlled.

Thoughts? 

Answers

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    My Dad says the same thing about my boat but I don't notice it, I've seen him drive it and he over compensates by a long shot, it doesn't take much steering to keep it straight, some boats are worse than others, what causes it is the water passing along the side and then exiting into the area behind the boat creates swirling and acts like suction on the back of the hull, pulling it one way and then the other, next time out try leaving your steering wheel alone for a minute and you will see the boat will turn a little bit to the right and then turn a little bit to the left without you moving the wheel at all, it will continue to go left and then right without moving the wheel, some boats take more seat time than others to get use to but in time it will get easier to control, couple things to reduce the wandering is a set of trim tabs or try trimming the motor up a little bit.

heres a video I made a few years ago to show customers that complained about it, only have to move the wheel like an inch at a time to keep it straight, the trick is learning your boat and to know when you should turn it that inch.

http://youtu.be/xZFe1lY3CQI

• 07FD202
    Thanks for the reply. Were in 80' wide canals . I can't let it wander too much. We did try letting the wheel go  to just see what would happen. It moved to the outer canal wall and docks very quickly. We had to turn it back. There were 3 people on board who all have driven boats. Everyone agreed something was off. Its not comfortable to constantly be having to correct the track in a canal.

I'm wondering if there could be air in the hydraulics or a bad pump at the helm
  • 07FD202
    Also the motor doesn't have a trim tab on the cavatition plate. But everything I read says if the steering is hydraulic, its not needed. I have no idea either way. 

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Yeah the trim tab on the motor is not needed with hydraulic steering, I'm wondering if your hydraulic lines have air in them and need to be bleed, when you turn the wheel does the motor turn instantly or is there a delay?