Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Electronics issue

chas
chas Member Posts: 6
I seem to have a problem with the electronics on my 2006 Sundeck 270. My son was using the boat at our home in Southwest Florida when he reported that the radio, depthfinder, dashboard-installed GPS all "died" on a recent trip. The boat ran fine coming back to port, and after checking all the circuit breakers in the cabin and replacing a fuse in the battery compartment, he still couldn't solve the problem. Both batteries appear to be fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chas

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you should investigate the ground on those devices if the power source (validated with a multimeter) is fine to the radio/depthfinder, etc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • chas
    Thanks, nquirk. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks and will check the ground.
  • tractor_17
    tractor_17 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I have seen these type of "gang" molex connectors accrue corrosion at the contact points.  If all of those gauges are coming from/to the same connector, take it apart (usually a squeeze type) and inspect the pins.  If blue or brown, try a squirt of wd40 on them, and then connect/disconnect a few times.
  • callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Can't help you with your electronics problem. You mentioned southwest Florida, and thought I would pass on some info. There have been several Hurricane owners that would like to organize a one day trip in the Intercoastal waters around Naples, Ft. Myers, etc. We would meet at a predetermined location some morning, and travel to a waterfront restaurant for lunch that could handle the number of boats and people involved.

Probably will happen in January or February 2012. Additional info will be posted to this forum.

I am in Ohio now, but if I was in Florida could probably help you with your electrical problem. I have the tools to diagnose and maybe the skills to fix it. Unfortunately, my arrival to SWF will not be until mid October.

Good luck,

Steve
  • richard3529
    richard3529 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I had the same problem with my 08 196 after hitting a wave and found it to be two wires under the console had came disconnected due to the wiring harness being in a strain. I put a strain relief on the harness and connected to two wires and all has been fine since.
  • chas
    Thanks, tractor_17. I appreciate the advice. I'll check it out.
  • chas
    Appreciate the offer, Steve. I don't get to Florida too often in the winter yet(go figure!). But if and when I do, I'll keep in touch. We're on Marco Island. Charlie  
  • chas
    Thanks, Richard. I'll check it out. i've been getting some good ideas, and I appreciate  the advice. Charlie