Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bimini Top retaining clip corrrect mounting?

Pseudomind
Pseudomind Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

I do not guess it matters much, but the retaining clip mounts on my Bimini top which has the plastic associated hardware have a slight bend to them and the clip is mounted (riveted) with the bend facing towards the pole.  I have ordered the Stainless Steel replacements and they do not mount the same, they mount using an Allen screw which screws into the previous rivet hole on the pole.  So this means I will have to drill an additional hole to mount the clip and lanyard.  So I am wonder if there is a reason the clips are mounted with the mount bent portion facing the pole.  All I can figure is if the clips are mounted facing out, it could conceivability then become a slight hazard to catch items.

Anyone have any ideas?

Which way do you clips face in towards the pole or outwards away from the pole.

2011 Hurricane Sundeck 187 OB

2002 Sea Ray Sundancer 380

Comments

• Pseudomind

Ah limited editing and having an episode of "brain flatulence,"  Okay perhaps the Allen screw does not go into the previous rivet hole with the new mount I have, (depends on the angle need on the pole fro the end to lock into mount on the boat) but it will still tighten onto the pole, the screw  has a tapered point which will bite into the aluminum pole when you tighten the screw down, I am also going to use some blue Loctite.

I would just edit my previous post but the hour time limit is up?

• Pseudomind
    Gee I was hoping maybe someone would have looked at how there clips are mounted and have at least commented if their clips are facing in or out.  I  am sure someone has been to their boat and they have a Bimini top?

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @Pseudomind... I just read your post again.  The clips (and I've owned several and have friends with several Hurricanes and the clips all face out)

I've had no problems with them catching on anything and I think they're designed to be placed on the outside so as to not catch arms/body parts putting the bimini up/down from inside the boat by passengers.

And I've replaced these bimini parts in the past and know what you mean by the set screws that use the existing holes and you're correct that you'd have to move the clip up with an additional hole or consider rivoting it in place of using the set screw that comes with the new one.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer