Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

1999 FD201 with fishing package - Help me understand these batteries! (pics)

I just purchased a 1999 FD 201 I/O with the fishing package.  When looking at the battery compartment, I see 2 batteries.  The one on the left (let's call it battery #1) has 2 hots and 2 grounds connected to it and both run up the port side of the hull.  See pic.

The second battery is closer to the engine and has a significantly larger set of wires that head back toward the engine and console.  I only get power at the console with this battery connected.  See pic.

I don't see any switch between the two batteries at all.  I do see that I have what looks to be a power outlet up by where the fishing seats snap in.  Could it be that battery #1 is only used to power a trolling motor if installed?  Does it do anything else?  What is the purpose of the 2 hot/2 ground on battery 1?  Is that to close the loop for recharging?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• pensapilot
    pensapilot Member Posts: 2
    Not sure, but my guess would be the extra hot and ground connect to your bilge pump.  I can't say what is "normal" but I believe the bilge float switch would be hot wired so it comes on automatically.  You would also be able to turn it on manually, but I think you can see the reason for the pump to be activated by either method.

• mikey
    mikey Member Posts: 1
    The large cables on battery 1 is for trolling motor all 4.  It's hooked up now for 12v usage. you have 4 so you could hook up 24v.
    Battery 2 is for your motor. The 2 large cables should run directly to the motor, or a selector switch if you have one then to the motor.
    The small wires should be to power your switches, lights, acc. and so on there should be 2 sets of small wires on batt 2 the other set should go to auto bilge. It does not look like you are charging batt 1 with the alternator.
  • cpferris
    cpferris Member Posts: 6
    mikey said:
    The large cables on battery 1 is for trolling motor all 4.  It's hooked up now for 12v usage. you have 4 so you could hook up 24v.
    Battery 2 is for your motor. The 2 large cables should run directly to the motor, or a selector switch if you have one then to the motor.
    The small wires should be to power your switches, lights, acc. and so on there should be 2 sets of small wires on batt 2 the other set should go to auto bilge. It does not look like you are charging batt 1 with the alternator.
    Thanks for this info mikey.  Given I am unlikely to use the fishing capabilities of the boat, battery #1 is essentially a spare battery then.  Is access to battery #1 simply provided through the cigarette style adapter that come through the bow by where the fishing seats attach?  

As for #2, I only see one set of small wires attached, (which I assume are for the switches/accessories).  Given what you said about auto bilge, I am wondering if there is another set of wires somewhere that are not connected?