Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hull Guard Fenders on Fundeck 226

robertablake
robertablake Member Posts: 4
Anyone hang hull guard fenders on a Fundeck 226 when docking?  Is so, how do you attach them to the boat?  I was thinking installing horn cleats on top of the top frame of the fencing.

Comments

• mlmeador
    mlmeador Member Posts: 12
    i have a Fundeck similar size (24 ft) and dock using the existing two cleats on the boat.  It would be nice to have one midships, but, once docked, i just put another fender out using the dock's cleat....Marty
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    I want to know what you end up doing because there is no easy place to tie fenders. I am thinking of tying brass rings to the siderail frame with flat nylon webbing. That webbing should fit between the square tube and the sheet metal and I could snap the fenders to the rings when docking. But now I am leaning toward either screwing or riveting some of those little two-hole metal loops like are used for the bimini top guy straps. Then the fenders could be hung with snap-hooks and removed when not in use. But I still haven't drilled any holes in my new boat yet.
  • robertablake
    I was thinking something similar, but instead bolting small horn cleats onto the top tube of the fence frame.  The horn cleat would be below the height of the back of the seat, so they should not interfere with the cover. 
  • robertablake
    mlmeador wrote:

i have a Fundeck similar size (24 ft) and dock using the existing two cleats on the boat.  It would be nice to have one midships, but, once docked, i just put another fender out using the dock's cleat....Marty

The existing fore and aft cleats on the Fundeck 226 are postioned on the corners such that the bumpers will not staying on the side of the boat, they just swing to the front and stern of the boat.
  • Kidagain
    Kidagain Member Posts: 2
      I just bought some plastic fender hangers for square rails from overtons. Not sure how they are going to work. They seem a little light for docking. I guess anything heavier would stand a chance of damaging the rail. I am having a hard time deciding how to mount an antenna for the vhf radio.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Sun Deck model, so I can't help on the fender issue on Fun Decks other than I've seen a bunch of rail mount adapters for fender ropes in Overton's... West Marine... etc., but I've been very busy working on the VHF antenna mounting issue for my boat and will share what I've decided after looking at a lot of products.  I want to mount the antenna to one of the bimini top rails (vertically).  I'm a big fan of RAM Mounts products and use one of their mounts for my chart plotter/sonar unit.  They make an antenna mount using their 1 1/2" ball connection and have a rail adapter that can be used on a 3/4" to 1" diameter rail.  The models are RAM-112U Antenna Mount & RAM-231U 3/4" to 1"rail mount adapter.  This is the combo I decided to go with (and RAM recommended) using a 4 ft antenna.  I'll have it connected to my handheld vhf radio (I run mostly fresh water).  The mount has the most amount of adjustment and flexibility over what I've found available.  This should probably be a new thread (probably a pretty good subject)..... didn't mean to hijack this one.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• rlawson
    rlawson Member Posts: 1
    West Marine has these multipurpose fender hangers, the are flat on one side and about 3 inches square.
    They have 3 holes to weave a line through.  I have one set up with a fender attached so I can clip it onto the top of the windshield at midships and it can be moved to either side for docking and I use another to clip on either side of the "play pen" rail.  Send me an e-mail and I'll send pics.    rick  oc316haven@yahoo.com 
  • Kidagain
    Kidagain Member Posts: 2
    I have been using the square hangers for a month and they work great for light/ temporary docking. I mounted the vhf antennae on the outside of the side panel using a backer block of star board and through bolts into the console.
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    OK, this works for me but it ain't elegant:
    I got some 1" black nylon "belt" like pack straps are made of. I ran it behind the railing and tied a brass ring to it so the ring doesn't rattle against the metal gunwale, positioned fore and aft on each side. I roasted the knot with my turbo torch so it won't come loose, and the fenders have snap hooks attached. I can hang whatever fenders I want in seconds as we approach the dock, and stow them quickly. The loops hang out just below the canvas cover when it is in use. I would post a photo but don't know how.
  • bprovs
    bprovs Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I used those plastic ties, some  people call them draw ties or zip ties, to secure my fenders. I put 2 ties (both ties will secure one rope) between the  alum rail and the back of the seat where ever I want to tie a fender and then leave them there. They will slide thru that very tight area. I then close the ties almost all the way and leave them partially open so I can slide my ropes thru both of them.  They will stay partially open unless someone cinches them up. I use 2 ties for strength. You can even put a snap hook on your rope of the fender so you don't have to tie the ropes and it makes it easier for your 1st mate to put them on amd off.  Should check the ties occassionally for wear and tear.
  • Glazier
    Glazier Member Posts: 3
    I also have the hangers from Overtons that hang on the rail (74625), they work well.  Plus I just installed a pair of Dock Edge Toon Fenders.  I haven't used them yet, the boat is out for the season now, but they sure look like they will be great.  I needed the B brackets for my FD 226, but modified the included C brackets with a hammer and vise, so I can hang them on either side.  I can update next May.
  • Glazier
    Glazier Member Posts: 3
    I used the Toon Fenders at the start of this season, before I ventured into the lake with the boat lift (very cold water!)  they worked very well for me.  Expensive, but recommended.
  • SoCalWaldo
    SoCalWaldo Member Posts: 1