Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Replacing snap studs on boat

Options
graduc
graduc Member Posts: 3
Brought our boat end of last year some of the snaps have corroded and came of are the screws stainless how do I remove the corroded piece in the fibre glass

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Found this on another sight, discussing corroded snaps, no sense re-inventing the wheel, it's well stated.  You might also find this helpful:

"Unscrew if they are screwed in and drill if a rivet. Most are screwed in. It looks like you may run into the issue of them being so rusty that the head of the screw would crumble off when turning. Be super careful and slow when unscrewing (assuming screwed in).
    The rust stains will clean up with a good fiberglass rust stain remover product, just remember that that stuff removes any wax so you will want to clean and wax soon after. 
    I would suggest you purchase some high quality stainless snaps and screws and replace replace the rusty ones.
    Don't forget to seal the screws properly with a marine sealant and you can put a wax or chap stick on the snaps to keep them lubed and prevent corrosion.
    FYI, when you see rust stains running down from deck tackle that has all stainless, it is time to re-bed the screws with new marine caulk. When water penetrates an area around stainless steel that doesn't have a constant air supply, the stainless will actually rust ( called crevice corrosion)."

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer