Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Pockets by engine contain water

Options
drjefferson
drjefferson Member Posts: 2
I have a new to me Hurricane sundeck sport 2012. It’s an I/ o.  On both sides of the engine there are pockets that have the engine mount bolts in.  They are full of water. The boat is trailered and currently sitting outside until I make room for inside storage.  It has mooring cover on and drain plug out. Is this normal?  Can drain holes be added? I’ll never keep the engine compartment mildew free if these pockets always fill up. 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not familiar with your specific model, my I/O install doesn't have this arrangement, but it looks like a cutout to access those bolts for engine installation.  I'm not really sure what can be done with that except sponge it out between trips, or maybe make a cover to go over the holes and silicone in place so it can be pried up if access is ever needed in the future?  I'm a bit leery about making more "holes".

Surprised this has never come up before, that I'm aware of....
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• drjefferson
    drjefferson Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I used my shop vac and sucked out most of the water. I have some pressure washing to do in the rear yet so I’m sure it will be filled again. The dealer I bought it from cleaned up a lot but more is needed. I have no plans of drilling holes since it looks to be structural and would need waterproofing After drilling and could weaken the area thier.