Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

excessive pounding in choppy water

JohnH1946
JohnH1946 Member Posts: 3
I recently purchased a 2019 hurricane SS218 OB. Is there a recommended speed for operation to
reduce the pounding when the water is rough. Also, ant suggested engine trim levels? I operate the boat only in fresh water but when the lake is active the ride can be at times uncomfortable
Thanks
JH

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The SS 218 model has a 12.5 degree deadrise hull, the lowest degree Hurricane makes (as does my SD 237).  Some models have up to a 16 degree deadrise (the newer SD 2690 OB has a 19 degree).  Higher deadrise numbers usually dictates a hull that cuts through the water easier, but takes longer to get on plane.  On the plus side, your model should give you better hole shot and quicker planing, shallower cruising depth and usually can maintain a lower cruising speed while on plane.  Unfortunately, whatever the water surface conditions are often dictates the ride since the boat has a shallow draft.  I will tell you that weight and length does have a softening effect on this hull design.  For example the  23' SD 237 has a vastly improved ride over say an 18' SD 187 due to additional length and weight.  Balancing out the weight and keeping the fuel tank mostly full can sometimes help the ride.  Cruise at the lowest speed where the boat feels the most comfortable and is still staying on plane.     
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer