Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

high pitched sound from compartment at stern in center

I just purchased a sundeck gs211 with 150 Yamaha and i am concerned about a high pitched sound that comes from  the compartment at the stern in the center. the area next to the batteries. It occurs every time i turn the master power switch on, with the engine off and the key out and every other switch off, this sound occurs. it is very annoying and will ruin the time when the boat is parked and we want to listen to the stereo.  plus i am worried that it indicates a problem. i have heard the bilge pump run and it does not sound like that. Does anyone know what this is or how to stop it?

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Besides the bilge pump, I believe your fresh water pump may also be located in the stern as well.  
    If I were to try trouble shooting this problem, I would first try to isolate what system is actually causing it by removing the in-line fuses located back by the transom one at a time to see if it has an effect on turning the noise off.  Remove the liner of the rear platform cooler so you can get access to and view the interior transom area.  Having someone activate the helm switch while you poke your head into that access area might also help you located the source.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• magg200
    magg200 Member Posts: 3
    i will give those things a try, it seems like the only thing that should be energized with all switches off (except master) is the bilge pump but it does not sound like that.
  • cjjjdeck
    I agree and am scratching my head on other systems that might be causing it as well.  I assume you bought the boat used.  Any previous owner or dealer could have messed with the wiring to suit their needs and not adhere to the ABYC Boating Electrical Standards.

Dealers and owners often add to the factory wiring for a variety of reasons, you may also want to check the positive terminal of the battery and see what circuits you have coming off of that.  Pull the wires off one at a time and check which one stops the noise.  This may also help in narrowing down the problem.

Hopefully it doesn't look something like this....... but I'm sure you get the idea:

• magg200
    magg200 Member Posts: 3
    i figured it out. it was the livewell pumps running dry.  I did buy the boat used and have it shipped to me so i have no idea how things work. the Hurricane manual i downloaded was not much help.. It appears that the livewell switch is the only one that works like this but pressing the top part turns one or both pumps on and the light comes on but pressing the bottom part of the switch also turns one or more pump on but turns the light off.  Since the other switches all turn off by pressing the bottom part, I assumed that the pumps were off when the switch was in the off position but it turns out that off is in the middle.  
  • cjjjdeck
    Glad you finally figured it out and shared!