Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fuel vent cap replacement/reattachment

Options
ultrageek2
ultrageek2 Member Posts: 3
I have an SD2000 that I recently was attempting to "fix" the issue a lot of folks seem to have with filling the fuel tank (can only put in a dribble at a time or the pump keeps shutting off).  So I removed the cover on the vent and found that it was very corroded and now I'm unable to get that cap back on.  I haven't gone to the point of trying to scrape off the corrosion yet and I'm honestly not sure if I damaged the cover/cap when i took it off so that was going to be my next effort.
My questions are:
1. what should this cap look like and how should it attach to the vent it's on?
2. if I need to replace this cap or the vent assembly does anyone have a part number they can give me?
Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mentioning year of your boat always helps assist members on the forum.  Pictures also help as hardware items can change between model years of same model boats..
    If your vent looks like the one below, it was probably from Whitecap Marine.  There are 2 models, one with a straight hose fitting and the other a 90 degree hose fitting.  If I had to guess, you probably have a 90 degree one.  You will need to measure the hole that was drilled into the hull to see if it matches the 1 9/16" spec.  To remove the old vent, you will need to access the nut on the back of the fixture.  I'm including an installation sheet from a Perko unit which is a different design than what is on your boat, but the installation is the same and is documented well on the sheet.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• ultrageek2
    ultrageek2 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    My apologies for the lack of model year.  This is a 2015 model we're talking about.  Very much appreciate the information!  The location of the vent in the vessel image you included is not quite the same as mine.  Mine is further forward - within 12-18 inches of the filler cap. 

I'll take a look at what you've sent and do my level best to make sense of it.  Again, I really appreciate the quick response.

Thanks!