Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

batteries

Options
jagaaar
jagaaar Member Posts: 6
I thought I had it right until I read the manual. My understanding had been that the battery  (guest)
 switch allowed for use of either (or both) batteries. The manual seems to say that the switch is for charging the batteries. Also that one battery is for accessories only. If I want the bilge pump to run automatically where do I set the battery switch?

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to make sure you understand how a battery switch works.  Below is a diagram that explains the different functions.  Although the diagram shows a Blue Sea switch, your Guest model operates the same.

Most owners designate Battery "1" as their starting battery, the one that starts the engine.  They designate Battery "2" as their "House" battery.  The House battery is usually used to power electronic and electrical systems when the boat is not under way or anchored.  This way the starting battery is always at full charge.  It is good to put the switch position in "1 & 2" while running the engine in order to charge both batteries.

Regarding your bilge pump, these pumps are usually connected to the battery directly and not activated based on battery switch position.  You can always test this yourself by putting the battery switch in the "Off" position and adding water to the bilge area until the pump comes on, bearing in mind it may take a few inches of water to activate.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer