Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Is a 1998 Fun Deck 248 (GDYW7558L798), with 560 hours, original 225HP OB worthy for re-powering?

Options
DonJ
DonJ Member Posts: 2
I have a 1998 Fun Deck 248 (GDYW7558L798), with 560 hours, original 225HP OB,  stored on boat lift worthy for re-powering?
Does anyone have information on construction technique for the 1998 hull, stringers, ribs and transom?
I like the boat, quandary on weather to refit boat 25k budget? or buy new boat 70K?

Answers

• DonJ
    DonJ Member Posts: 2
    Options
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tough decision for a 22 year old, relatively low hour boat.  Re-powering is never an inexpensive endeavor.   It really centers around overall condition, how much you really like the boat and how well it fits your use lifestyle.

Here's some info about your boat:

Regarding power, using the 75% minimum acceptable horsepower calculation off of maximum horsepower, you currently are at the lowest acceptable power level for your boat at 225 HP.  If you are into water sports, the performance from this engine may not produce acceptable results (poor hole shot, hard to get on plane towing etc.), but may be perfectly acceptable for just cruising around.

I do not currently have a hull schematic for your boat, but it is designed to be able to handle a 300 HP motor.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer