Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2011 SS231 front hatch door integrity

Options
Zig
Zig Member Posts: 2
Brand new owner here - roughly 4 hours into the 10 hr break-in period on a 2011 231.

I did have to call in a warranty claim already, and so far it is being handled quickly and professionally (through the purchasing dealer, Ducky's Boats/Middletown, Pa).
What happen was the forward floor hatch door cracked in the bow to stern direction after being stepped on from the entrance location at the bow of the boat.
Looking at the design of this lift supported door, has there been any upgrades done to to 2012 model design in this location? My concern is that the replacement cover is going to be exactly like the original and will simply crack again as this location is a heavy traffic area in the boat.

In other words, what are the chances of having a replacement with addional support beams build into the hatch door?

Comments

• mike
    mike Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I have had a 2009 237 sundeck from new and I had this happen to me also.
    Mine was out of warranty, but they did after some discussion supply me a new one.
    I think this is not of a servicable standard, they should strengthen this item due to the way you have to drop down on it when entering the boat.
    It would not surprise me that it will go again. They do need build in stronger supports or make it thicker across the middle.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope I understand which door you have the issue with since I have a baitwell/cooler hatch that you step on first as you board the boat from the bow; then you step down on the storage/ski hatch door on the deck itself; it sounds like the it?s the storage/ski locker door that you?re discussing. I have a 2012 SD237 and I measured my hatch door on the floor in the middle of the forward seating area.  Since your model is a center console design I have no idea if the doors are the same dimensions, so I figured I?d give you the measurements of mine so you can compare.  The door measures 32 1/8? in length and 19? in width.  The outside edge is 1? thick, there is a foam gasket 3/16? thick around the perimeter of the door and it sits just behind the edge.  The center of the door is 13/16? thick overall.  It feels pretty sturdy and I?ve had no issue with it so far.  I?ve stepped on it plenty of times and I?m not a light weight.

Hope this helps!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• kjensen1
    kjensen1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Purchased a 2013 188 I/O in Charlotte, NC three months ago. I love the boat but the ski hatch cracked down the middle last week. The dealer just got the hatch but it would of helped to have some supports in the hatch cover because the hatch is so big. Its a good thing to have such a big hatch because the wake board fits perfectly!!!

• scooty59
    scooty59 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a 2009 FD198. The front floor storage door has cracked the same as mentioned above. Where can I find a replacement door?
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are no direct sales, you'll have to work through the dealer network and order a new door via them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer