Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bimini? you're on your own . . .

Options
BlakeVau
BlakeVau Member Posts: 1
The bimini for my 2011 Sun Sport 188 is worn as would be expected after 10 years of good service. I called my Hurricane dealer and told him to order a new top, everything, hardware, fabric, fittings. He said no, Hurricane only sells replacements for boats five years old or newer. Also, Hurricane doesn't license 3rd-party companies to make this bimini. For a boat that is so well built that it looks new today I can't believe that they would abandon their customers like this. I called two local marine upholstery companies and was told there is a two- and three-month waiting list. One told me, quite frankly, that it is hard to do biminis when she has "all the orders for $20k full enclosures I can handle". I guess I'm in the wrong business. 
If I knew that Hurricane had this policy of not supporting their current customer base I would have bought a replacement bimini when I bought the boat and stored it. 
Abandoned, topless, and obviously sunburned in South Carolina.  

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I empathize with your situation.  I also understand you feeling the manufacturer is not meeting your expectations.  These are some of the things boat owners end up having to deal with regardless of what manufacturer made your boat.

In 2016, Hurricane made a change on how bimini tops are fabricated and constructed, this implementation limited the availability of replacement bimini parts to 2016 models and up.  This decision was also deemed having a minor impact on customers due to the availability of independent marine upholsters that can easily service this part of the boat beyond the factory 5 year warranty commitment.  

I understand you being frustrated and disappointed with your situation, plus the situation of local marine upholsters having more work than they can handle adding to it.  I personally would not identify Hurricane as not supporting their customer base as you have options (although frustrating ones at this moment) since you are beyond the warranty period.  If it were me, I would make the appointment with one of the marine upholsters, or maybe your dealer has some influence on one that may improve your place on line.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer