Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Evaluating used boat - cracks?

Options
Psull
Psull Member Posts: 4
Have a deposit on a 2003 SD 187, 4.3 Merc I/O for lake use in MA.  I am purchasing from Echo Bay Marina in Brookfield, CT.  I looked at it on a cold day in Feb while it was still shrink wrapped.  So the extent of my inspection was, shall we say, abbreviated.  I took it for a test drive 5/8. Engine was great, no problems shifting in and out of reverse, trim worked, had enough power.  its freshly tuned, new bellows.  My concern is that there seems to be lots of cracks in the gel coat on the hull and some scrapes dings with bare fiberglass showing.  Also some topside where the windshield meets as well as some of the plastic in the cockpit area.  The upholstery, cover and engine are all in great shape so the cracks seem out of place with how the rest of the boat was cared for.  Any of this normal for this specific boat or any boat of this era/age boat?  Were gel coats an issue around 2003? (see pics). 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From the pictures you show, especially showing the lower hull, that indicates the boat hit something.  That is hull damage, not just surface cracks that can occur over time on a fiberglass hull.  The upper deck surface pictures do look a bit unusual in their locations.  It doesn't look major, but you may want to consider the services of a marine surveyor (like a home inspector) to give you a full evaluation of the boat's overall condition.
    Here's more info on a marine surveyors:
    https://yachts360.com/how-to-hire-a-boat-surveyor

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer