Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Advice on potential purchase of 2002 Hurricane FunDeck GS 201

Options
rubicon
rubicon Member Posts: 3
Hello. I am new to the forum but a long time boater. I currently own a 19' Sea Chaser center console with 90 HP 2-S Mercury OB. I rented a Hurricane SunDeck Sport SS218 with a 200HP Yamaha 4-S OB this past summer at Smith Mountain Lake in VA and really fell in love with the design, performance and overall versatility. Had 4 adults and 5 kids aboard but boat had 14 person capacity. Started looking at older Hurricane's as I'd really like to own one but also don't want to spend a ton. That said I'm all about value so I will certainly spend more if it is justified. Wanted your advice on a 2002 FunDeck GS201 with a 150 HP Yamaha 2-S OB. Supposedly one owner with low hours and all freshwater lake use. Are these older designs just as good as the newer hulls and is there anything I should be aware of? Will I regret the 2-stroke versus finding a 4-stroke? I want to be able to take out two small families (say 8-9 people) and I really want a boat that can do it all. Water skiing, tubing, fishing, crabbing, cruising, etc. both river and back bay and the Hurricane's seem to fit the bill versus a bowrider or other. Would I be asking too much of this boat? Wondering if I will be pushing the limits especially given the GS 201 has a 10 person capacity. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• rubicon
    rubicon Member Posts: 3
    Options
    No advice from anyone? Hard to believe as there has to be some owners with a lot of experience here. Does it sound like I’m asking too much from an older GS 201? They seem heavy to start so I’m concerned with maintaining decent performance with a 150 when loaded with fuel and family. Are they horrible in chop as I’ve read posted? The newer SunDeck Sport I rented seemed ok but is that drastically different from the older FunDeck hulls? Thanks. 
  • db525
    db525 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I can't speak to one with an OB, but my 2004 with the 5.0mpi has been a great all around boat.  5-6 adults easy.  The open bow layout really helps seating wise.  They are a bit heavy, but I mainly use mine for cruising and watersports and have had no issues.

Boat handles chop pretty well for a deckboat.  I did add some self leveling tabs to mine and it helped alot with bow rise getting on plane, and staying on plane at low speed.  
  • sullmate
    sullmate Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Options
    Sundeck and Fundeck are different styles of boats.
  • RetiredontheRiver
    RetiredontheRiver Member Posts: 2
    Options
    This may come too late Rubicon, but I own a 2002 GS 201 with a Merc Optimax 200. We can pull a 200lbs skier with no issues and it does surprising well on fuel consumption. I am sure the 150 would do fine with the right prop, but highly recommend the 200hp.