Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trim out a 2400 SD

Options
I have a SD 2400 with the Yamaha 250 OB. I'm having trouble figuring out the trim. At any speed and any RPM, my RPMs increase when I trim the motor up any amount. Therefore, it appears that in just about all conditions and speeds, my best trim option is all the way down. Can this be right, or should I be looking at something other than RPMs decreasing a little to determine proper trim plane.

Comments

• tedley
    tedley Member Posts: 4
    Options
    my rpm also increases, if you have not moved throttle that is good because it makes it easier for the engine with less drag,so speed goes up and rpm increases,I then throttle back and it mantains the speed and uses less gas.hope this was helpful. Tedley
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The weight distribution on your boat can be contributing to your condition.  Although I have an I/O, in most conditions my boat most often performs best at the 1/2 down position.  Basically, while on plane speeds, I trim up until I start to porpoise, then back it down till it stops.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• instymp
    instymp Member Posts: 14
    Options
    cjjjdeck said:
    The weight distribution on your boat can be contributing to your condition.  Although I have an I/O, in most conditions my boat most often performs best at the 1/2 down position.  Basically, while on plane speeds, I trim up until I start to porpoise, then back it down till it stops.
    That is what I do, but not to porpoise, when it starts cavitating.
  • wesray
    wesray Member Posts: 7
    Options
    2400 SD with 250 hp can't trim past one half or cavitation