Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Anchor

Options
ltorczynski
ltorczynski Member Posts: 1
Just bought a brand new Hurricane SD 232.  Can anyone recommend an anchor to buy that will fit in the front anchor compartment?

Answers

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
  • MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hmmm... the FX-7 is only 4 lbs... I'd love to hear if someone can attest to this anchor holding in wind in weedy bottoms. Looks like you need a rode for that one.

I have the 203OB and tried a rubber coated danforth from Cabelas and it was a joke.

I wish the anchor storage was designed for larger anchors. 

On my previous 17' fish-n-ski I found Panther WaterSpike anchor to be the best to hold in wind, but there is no way for that anchor to fit in the Hurricane anchor locker.
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    Tell you what, Dave...I've got a buddy who works at Fortress and tests EVERY anchor on the market. I just shot him an email...maybe he can shed some light on this.
  • trubedor
    trubedor Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options
    I actually bought a larger anchor which says its designed for boats 20' to 24' and it disn;t fit the locker so I cut the cross member down with a sawzall to fit.  I also installed a rubber diamond plate pad on the inside of the hull below the locker as the anchor rubs against it when underway in chop.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I too had an issue with finding an anchor that is appropriate for my size boat and have it fit in the locker.  I got a Danforth style and cut my cross members (called the "stock") down to get it to fit in the molded grooves so it would hang in the locker properly, but no..... it did not...... the shank was too long to get it to fit all the way into the grooves!

I did some research and decided to try a Chene anchor and it has performed great in the muddy soft bottom of the lake I boat at.  There are different sizes that correspond to certain boat length ranges.  There's not much price difference between them, so I chose the biggest for my boat.  The anchor is also much lighter weight than other style anchors, so it's much easier to handle, release and retrieve.  You don't use a chain rode on this style, so if you have a rocky bottom body of water you boat in frequently, this may not be the best choice of anchor.  You also don't use as much anchor line for this anchor to set and operate properly (The Chene uses a 2:1 verses the usual ratio of 7:1, rope to depth).  Overall I've been very happy with the performance of this anchor.

Here's a link to their site if you're interested:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    Options
    I found Digger brand anchor works pretty good and fits in the anchor locker. I use a carabiner to clip it to the cleat in the locker when not in use so it doesn't fall down into the bottom of the hull. Also put some padding in there to keep it from banging around.
  • GEWarEagle
    GEWarEagle Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    I have the FX-7 on our SD 2400 OB. It works great even in windy conditions... but I live on the Gulf Coast and I'm typically anchoring on a sandy bottom.
    2013 Sundeck 2400 OB, Yamaha 250
    Spanish Fort, Alabama