Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How much water in the hull is normal?

yzfmik
yzfmik Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I have a 2012 188SS and every time I turn on the bilge pump a fair amount of water comes out the side (takes maybe 15-20 seconds to stop), is this normal? Seems to be more when I'm moving vs. stopped with the motor off. It's done this from day 1 so I'm just wondering how normal this is? Thanks
2012 188 Sundeck Sport OB w/ Yamaha 115

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I've got a SD 217 and my bilge stays bone dry 90% of the time.  In rough conditions I might get a little water.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • yzfmik
    Anytime I'm running I get some, I don't think enough to be terribly concerned about, but I just wonder where it comes from and if it's normal.  
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@yzfmik.  I also have a SS188.  I do get some water in my bilge but its typically from quick stops with water rushing into the bilge or from rain around the door/battery compartment but for the most part you shouldn't get as much water as you've indicated.

My suggestions is make sure the bilge access ports are tightened.  Doesn't sound overly concerning right now, but worth watching.  Does this happen everyday (you say everytime but I'm wondering what intervals between usage) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • yzfmik
    Yes I notice it everytime I use the boat.  When the boat's not being used I keep it in my garage so rain water isn't getting in there.  Next time I'll have to pay a little closer attention to the amount of water I get running vs. sitting anchored.  Seems like more when running though.  When I get it home and remove the drain plug (prior to washing) I'd say a gallon or so of water comes out.
  • nquirk

if you're talking a gallon, I wouldn't be overly concerned.  tighten the bilge access ports and just keep an eye on it.  Doesn't seem overly concerning.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • yzfmik
    When you say bilge access ports, where is this? Thanks!
  • nquirk
    yzfmik, if you have an SS188 Outboard, the two round access covers in front of the engine.

If its an inboard motor, lifting the rear engine cover, the area at the back below the engine.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • yzfmik
    Ooo, ok.  I've never seen water coming into the area in front of the OB motor, but I'll look again next time we go out.  Thanks for the info!
  • mlmeador
    mlmeador Member Posts: 12

My boat (Fun Deck 238) is on a sling.  I always pump out more from the bilge underway because I turn on the bilge when i'm down by the stern (purposely not on the plane) so that  the water runs to the pump. So pumping out more underway is expected.

Rain water seems to be my main source of water in the bilge however, I really wish the stern hatch that houses the batteries were a watertight hatch.  Following sea over stern could ruin my day and trash the batteries.....Marty Meador, Taylor Lake Village, Texas