Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Anchor rope in the anchor well

Options
mlbjs5
mlbjs5 Member Posts: 8
I have had to replace my anchor rope because it went into the hole at the base of the anchor well. After it was in the hole, it got tangled around some wiring or piping not sure which that runs perpendicular with the hole. I think that the manufacturer should look at some way to cover this hole during manufacturing. Maybe some type of access door if there is a need for access.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting observation @mlbjs5.  In fact, my previous Hurricane had a plywood backstop in the anchor well to prevent the anchor from sliding all the way down into the hull.  My newer 2010 SS188 does not.

I completed a feedback survey from my dealer to Hurricane and included that exact suggestion.

Hopefully it makes a reappearance on future models. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • kkenefick
    kkenefick Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am looking for a suggestion for a anchor for my 2015 SS 188OB. I boat in Missouri lakes. I want one that will fit on the holders.

• nquirk
    Options

These are the types of anchors (danforth) that fit into the existing holders.

http://www.danforthanchors.com/standard.html

You'll need to determine size and suitability for the Missouri Lakes.  Not usually suitable for gravel/rocky or heavily weeded bottoms as the fluke may sail or skate along and not dig into the bottom.

Also add some chain at the anchor between it and the rope to get it to lay down to get it to set better.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options

I thought it was funny on my 2015 203 that the anchor locker doesn't have a floor, looks like anything could slip away under the deck never to be seen again.

• nquirk
    Options

I just drop mine down in the opening and when it comes to rest, tie it off on the cleat inside the anchor compartment.  Keeps me from losing it in the belly of the boat

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1 on the anchor cleat tie off.

I struggled with getting a Danforth style anchor to fit my anchor locker rests and store below the locker door.  I ended up using a Chene anchor, which still doesn't span the anchor rests, but it's lighter weight and I just tie it off to the anchor cleat and everything's good.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options

My Danforth fits and hangs almost properly... there are small black rubber/plastic clips for it to rest in which keep it from clattering about, but one is missing. I don't know what to call them in parts suppliers' search-by-name boxes. Any idea if these are generic items or have to be ordered from a Hurricane dealer? Thx.

David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• nquirk
    Options

I believe they're just rubber pole storage clips like this.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/anchor-dock/dock/boat-hooks.html

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • HydroCanis
    Options

That is indeed what they look like. Thank you.

David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Options

My 2001 gs 201 has the nylon holders in the top of the locker and the only trick to stowing the danforth in there is to make sure the palm is behind the cleat that is in there. of course, YMMV!  I believe I have either a 12 or 15 lb Danforth. Holds us well in our muddy/sandy bottom. Just need a deck wash pump for the smelly mud that is always on it when retrieved. Happy Hurricaning!

Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • HydroCanis
    Options

You got it. I was thinking of keeping a trowel nearby to scrape off the grey crud from the lake bottoms around here. Yuck.

David