Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Starter Solenoid on a 2000 FD 201 with 4.3L V6 4bbl

Options
losan1959
losan1959 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I finally got the boat ready for it's maiden voyage when halfway out of the marina the engine stalled. I tried to restart but the starter just spun without connecting to the flywheel. Is it possible to "Do it Youself" the solenoid change out? 

Best Answer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@losan1959.  Changing this out is no different than changing the solenoid on an automotive starter.

There are only a few things to consider:

1.  Would you be comfortable doing this on a car?

2.  Can you comfortable get at the starter to remove it, change out the solenoid, and reinstall?

3.  Use a marine rated part.  While many parts are interchangeable with their automotive equivalent, marine grade components such as starters and alternators are designed to shield spark, etc. to prevent fire/explosion of potential fuel vapor/fumes building in the bilge area.

If you can answer yes to all 3, then yes a solenoid is a 'Do it Yourself' replacement

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer

Answers

• losan1959
    losan1959 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Options
    Yes I am comfortable doing it on a car and Yes to the other questions. 

I'm taking my friend down tomorrow to remove the starter and bench test it. We'll see! 

Thank you for your response, it was dead on and great help.