Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Prop and Pitch

anchor1
anchor1 Member Posts: 12
I recently purchased a 2002 fundeck 201 gs I/O. It has a mercruiser 5.0 engine with a 1:1.62 gear ratio alpha one stern drive. After I purchased the boat, I noticed that it had a mirage plus 21 pitch prop. After contacting mercury, they indicated that this was not a recommended prop for this boat and would put too much stress on the gears. They recommended either a high five 19 pitch or a revolution four 17 pitch prop. Can anyone give me any guidance on which prop is better for this boat to solve both an acceleration and planeing issue.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@anchor1, check out this link http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#

This will help you determine the right prop for that setup.  If you already have your Wide Open Throttle (WOT) RPMs and top speed, it will help to more accurately select a prop for a deckboat with the engine you have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • gregfl
    gregfl Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    I saw that link also but also posted about props. I was hoping someone with the same setup had already gone through the process and could recommend a prop.

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@gregfl, are you trying to achieve more speed, prop it for faster hole shot and better suited to watersports?  All of these factors will impact your prop selection.

We can get you close but need to know the current information along with what you're trying to achieve.  Each boat and its use will vary that slightly.  (just changing from a 3 to 5 blade, materials used, etc will all factor in here)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer