Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2013 SD 217 I/O with 5.0 MPI alpha one - wont plane out

Options
jmrivisto
jmrivisto Member Posts: 3
brand new SD 217 with 48 13702 21P Prop. Boat takes about 10 secs to plane out with just two people and full fuel, and with 10 passengers i could not get it to plane out at all....the WOT throttle RPM is 5800 and speed is about 48 mph but still in break in period. Any ideas on why the boat will not plane out? With 5 or 6 passengers it will eventually plane out but i have to place most up front and it takes a long time to get there...at least 15-20 secs of acceleration.
Thanks
JR

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    @jmrivisto ... this is typically a prop pitch issue. Your selling dealer should help you dial in the right prop... probably by dropping the pitch. Make sure they walk you through this because you'll really need to keep an eye on the RPMs. If you run into any issues with the dealer, please shoot a note to Terri in Hurricane Customer Support. She can help coordinate for you. tgipson@nauticglobalgroup.com
  • cooleyo
    cooleyo Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options
    Not sure what your recommended rpm range is, but it already seems to be on the high end. Dropping pitch will raise rpm. You can try going to a 4blade, or increase the diameter when you drop pitch to maintain proper rpms.
  • jmrivisto
    Options
    thanks, i thought the same thing. I ran it several times and it was consistent at 5800. The dealer thought i should have been 1000 lower than that. From what i have read a drop to 19P would increase the RPM about 300 which seems way to high. Thought the factory would have the proper one on it but the beast is a slug getting going. I wasnt expecting a rocket hole shot for the size and weight but i was told the hurricane reputation is for their boats to plane out within 1.5 times the boat length. With my family on board it just takes a long, long time if ever.
  • Capt_Steve
    Options
    @jmrivisto ... with a new boat, dealer should be helping you dial this in. Even though props are specified by the engineering dept, there are a number of factors that could affect performance. You should probably try several to see what gives you the best performance for your water/passenger load/typical operation.
  • jmrivisto
    Options
    dealer has been working on this one. found yesterday that the tach was set way off. adjusted the tach to proper idle speed readings and WOT was now at 4100 rpm @ 50 mph, not 5800 like it had been indicating.
  • Capt_Steve
    Options
    Ahhhhh...hah! That will change the formula...