Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Stainless steel props

Blacky
Blacky Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

I own a Sundeck sport SS 201. It is powered by a 260 horsepower 5.0 MPI Mercruiser. It came from the factory equipped with an aluminum Mecury Black Max 14.25 x 21 pitch prop that I recently damaged. I would like to replace this prop with a more efficient stainless steel unit. Can anyone recommend a compatible stainless steel prop?   

Best Answers

Answers

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@blacky.  Run it through Mercury's Prop Selector website.  http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Blacky

Nquirk,

Thanks for the information. However, I had already researched Mercury's prop website, it is a good website, but it also suggested about eight different props. This means I would have to trail and error among those props to see which would best suit my needs. Not a very practical option considering the costs of stainless props. I was hoping some department in Hurricane engineering may have already gone through this process. 

• Blacky

Tantan34,

It sounds like your Vengance prop deserves consideration, particularly on acceleration. However, what about top end? Given a light load, what is your top speed at what RPM? Keep in mind, I am running around 55 mph (by speedometer) at 4,400 rpm. This rpm is low for my 260 hp MPI, which should top out at around 4,600 to 5,000 rpm.This indicates to me my 21p Black Max prop may be over pitched. Also, I have to do some further testing with a GPS to verify the accuracy of my speedometer. I suspect it is reading on the generous side.    

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @Blacky... what model year is your boat? 
  • Blacky

Steve,

It is a 2013, here are its specs:

2013 Sundeck Sport SS 201 I/O

Mercruiser Alpha one 1:62 drive ratio

5.0 MPI 260 Hp

• tantan34
    tantan34 Member Posts: 6
    Easily 4600. My set up was supposedly special order from Hurricane. Apparently they didn't offer the 5.7 in that years model, and it came with the Vengance.
    2000 SD 2100 5.7 EFI Alpha w/19P SS
  • Blacky
    tantan, Thanks for the info. Here are my latest results: I installed a new Black max prop (14.25 x 21 pitch) and went back out to the lake for some further testing. This time the results were quite different: Acceleration "good". Top speed (by GPS) 53 mph. Engine rpm @ top speed 5,000. Of course this was with one person on board and a light load. By the way, at the top end, my speedometer was off by about 3 mph--it read 56 mph. However, at the lower speeds it was spot on with my GPS. Capt_Steve/Hurricane engineers recommended a Mirage plus 14.34 x 21 pitch if I decide to go to stainless. Down the road, I will try that prop out and post the results.    
  • Blacky

tantan,

I need to make a correction on my last post. Capt_Steve recommended a "Mercury Vengeance Stainless Steel Prop 48-16316A46-19 pitch".  I incorrectly stated a "Mirage plus 14.34 x 21 pitch!"