Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Deck Boat Bottom Configurations

Options
delhaven
delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
From the discussions I read in The Forum, seems like the SD models have a different hull design than the Sports. Can't tell from the Hurricane brochures or videos, but looking at hull bottoms on Huricanes for sale on Yachtworld.com, the SD 2200 and SD 2400 seem to have more of a V at the stern, while the Sports tend to be flat. Can anyone tell me what the dead rise is on the SD models, particularly on the 2400?

Comments

• ClusterDuck
    ClusterDuck Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Stangely, the SS203 seems to have a different hull configuration than the other SS boats.  Deeper V in the front (also, a shallower total draft).  Maybe Capt. Steve can explain.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    When I was shopping for my boat 3 years ago, the dealer said that Hurricane had only 2 basic hull designs: 
    1.  The more traditional "deck boat" design which was flatter and more stable, but also a rougher ride in choppy water.  This is the design found on the majority of Hurricane boats.  This is what I have on my boat and is found on most of the FD, and SD Sport models and most of the SD models like the 217, 237, 188, etc.).  These boats have a dead rise of around 12.5 degrees.
    2.  A deeper "V" type hull for a better rough water ride found on models like the SD 2000, 2200, 2400, 2600, and the SD Sport 220.  This design is on a limited number of Hurricane models. This design also tends to have more freeboard.  These models have a dead rise of around 16 degrees.

I had the chance to ride both models before I bought, and there is a very significant difference in the way they ride, amount of bow rise, etc..
    Post edited by Ernest_T on
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • ClusterDuck
    ClusterDuck Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks Ernest T. The SS 203 OB is a new model for this year. The dealer that I spoke with mentioned that it has a new hull design not found on any of their other boats and that Hurricane would be adopting that hull on some of their other boats. Hopefully Capt. Steve can tell us more.
  • delhaven
    Options
    It would be interesting if Capt'n Steve would list the hull dead rise of all Hurricane Sun and Sport models and comment on the reasons for the different configurations.
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    Hey guys... I've asked Jeremy to weigh in on this from an engineering perspective. Stay tuned....
  • Capt_Steve
    Options
    Here's a list of the deadrise measurements for the different Hurricane models. It all comes down to finding that "sweet spot" of quick-to-plane, low bowrise, rough water handling, speed turns, etc. Jeremy has promised to give us more detail on the reasons for each designs today or tomorrow.

Model Name

Dead Rise

SS 188 I/O

13°

SS 188 OB

13°

SS 201 I/O

13°

SS 201 OB

13°

SS 202 I/O

13°

SS 202 OB

13°

SS 203 OB

15°

SS 211 OB

12.5°

SS 220 OB

16°

SS 231 OB

12.5°

SS 232 OB

12.5°

SD 187 I/O

13°

SD 187 OB

13°

SD 2000 OB

16°

SD 217 I/O

12.5°

SD 217 OB

12.5°

SD 2200 I/O

16°

SD 2200 DC I/O

16°

SD 2200 OB

16°

SD 2200 DC OB

16°

SD 237 I/O

12.5°

SD 237 OB

12.5°

SD 2400 I/O

16°

SD 2600 I/O

16°

SD 2400 OB

16°

• delhaven
    Options
    Capt'n Steve, thanks for the input. I assume those models with more dead rise are slower to plane, but handle choppy water better and more inclined to stay on track at idle speeds. Look forward to what Jeremy has to say.
  • Capt_Steve
    Options
    @delhaven ... that has been my experience. Also curious as to what Jeremy comes back with.
  • Carakeet
    Carakeet Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Any more info on the subject?  Just bought a ss203 and want to take it to the ICW

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usually with threads this old (July 2013) it's best to start a new one, but I see that Capt Steve did not get a further response from Jeremy that could be shared with the members.

Here's a thread that might help answer your question, if you haven't seen it already:

Your boat weight and length would perform better in choppy water than the SS188 one member talked about in the thread in using his boat on the ICW.

You may want to start a thread asking what members boat on the ICW and how their boats (model number) handle that waterway.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer