Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New SS211 - Broken Switches on Dash

Options
bainbridge0528
bainbridge0528 Member Posts: 3
Brand new owner here - only 8 hours on our 211 - and three of the switches on the dash have broken.  The small black plastic pivots broke clean off.  Is this a common problem and is there an easy fix?

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bainbridge0528, you're the first I've heard of having this problem and in fact these switches are made by Carling Technologies and are pretty common and well built in the industry.  I'd contact your dealer and have them order the replacements.  You may have just received a bad batch.

I've had these apart and without changing the switch itself unfortunately I don't think they can be repaired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Options
    @bainbridge0528 .. Nelson is right on...dealer can order a new set for you.
  • tone100
    tone100 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Options
    I had 2 of mine break with the boat having less than 10 hours on it. Terry sent me some replacements. Now another one broke. I'll wait until the 1 year warranty is almost up and replace them at that time. The plastic on them seems very brittle.
    2011 SS 188 OB
    Yamaha F150
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is interesting.  I'm in my 4th season and have over 150 hours on my boat with no issues and have friends with 2002 models using the same switches with easily 400+ hours on their boats and never a broken switch.  My guess is there was a bad batch out there and unfortunately you've hit on them.

The upside (if you can call it that) is the Carling switches are fairly mainstream and inexpensive to buy replacements if it happens out of warranty.  (I've seen them for $6 on ebay)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer