Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Anti-cavitation plate

BWH
BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
Atleast that is what I think it is called.  On river this weekend and broke the horizontal fin shaped portion of lower unit above the prop.  Best explanation I can come up with is a board/log/pipe etc ended up wedged between prop and fin and the SS prop did not give.  Seems lots of comments about repairing the skeg, but not about this portion of the motor.  The piece that broke off was lost.  Weld a new piece?  Aftermarket bolt on replacement?  Not sure what my options are.  Anyone with experience with this?      

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

You have a few options.  The first, being the most expensive is replacing the casing of the lower unit.  However many shops (those that do prop repairs) can most likely fabricate and weld an aluminum plate replacement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    We call these aftermarket items "whale tails." Probably need your local dealer (or marina repair guy) take a look. 
  • BWH
    BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    After some research, seems this is fairly common.  I contacted a local prop repair business here in Charleston and they did the work the same day.  Welded a new piece on to replace what had broken off.  Looks as good as new.   From my research, seems about every prop shop includes skeg and cavitation plate repair in their business plan.