Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2008 226REF FunDeck

dtbrownz71
dtbrownz71 Member Posts: 6
Good morning to all. I am happy to have found this site as I have a few questions in regards to my 2008 226REF FunDeck, 

First Question: does anyone know of a way to reset the maintenance reminder on the Faria Gauge?

Second Q: I have black streaks coming from the top of my aluminum panels where the square railing and panels meet. I have a feeling theses streaks are a sign of some level of corrosion taking place. The boat is used in salt water but we take pains to ensure she is washed down with fresh water after every use. Has anyone seen this and is there something I can do to mitigate this issue,

Last Q: when I purchased this boat used from a private party it did not have a changing station curtain. I am currently using a shower curtain but would like to have the matching curtain for my model. Should i go through a dealer for this or straight to Hurricane?

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    1) [Terri Gipson] Product called black streak remover by bio kleen will remove.
    2) [Terri Gipson] You would be able to purchase this curtain with any local Hurricane Dealer.

Checking on gauge question...
  • dtbrownz71
    Thanks for the reply. I have been able (up to this point) to remove the streaks. My primary concern is the underlying cause of the streaks and if there is a course of action I can take to eliminate whatever the problem is. 
  • Capt_Steve
    @dtbrownz71 ...gotcha... checking to see if anyone has a solution for you.
  • Capt_Steve
    @dtbrownz71 ... consensus is that you likely don't have any corrosion issues and that the black streaks are being caused by dirty water running off your cover. Do you think that might be it? 

Faria Customer Service will be able to give you the reset code: 800.473.2742
  • dtbrownz71
    Steve, I have not had the cover on it since this spring. It stays under a carport when not in use. It is my opinion that the streaks are a result of the aluminum paneling and or railing corroding but I can't be sure. What is also strange is that the streaks do not run down the sides until after I have trailered the boat home after spending time on the water. The streaks are not a result of road grime, they very clearly originate from the upper railing were the panels and rails meet. Once I clean the boat and remove the black streaks they do not reappear until after the next use. Another reason I have a feeling it is corrosion is that I also have some small areas of bubbling on some of the panels to include underneath the decals. It seems as if the aluminum is corroding/rusting (white rust). If there is no resolution then no worries, I just thought I would put it out there and see if anyone else has experienced the same issue. I would be willing to take pictures if you are interested in investigating this further.
  • Capt_Steve
    Wow...yes, I think pics would be the next step. Weird!
  • servmgr64
    servmgr64 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

I noticed on our new FD226 that the aluminum frame work for the Bimini top rubs the connecting points where it is attached to the boat (while trailering mostly) & there is a black film that is on both pieces where they have touched & rubbed. I believe this is probably normal with the 2 metal surface's rubbing together.

Servmgr64

2013 FD226
    Mercury 150 4 stroke
    2014 Shorelander trailer

servmgr64 2013 FD226 2013 Mercury 150 4-stroke 2014 Shorelander
  • dtbrownz71
    servmgr64, thanks for the reply. I have also noticed this residue at the hinge points. If they were the only areas I was seeing the streaks from then I would also chalk it up to normal as I do know that when aluminum rubs on aluminum there is a black residue created. The problem is I am getting the black streaks in various areas of the top railing where there are no hinge points. I think I will take some pics this Saturday as I plan to hit my favorite flounder hole Saturday morning. Once I return home I would expect to have the black streaks show up again so I will get them on camera then.

Capt_Steve, what would be the possibility of getting a new panel made by Hurricane? I am interested in possibly replacing the starboard aft panel that starts at the front of the Console and extends back to the starboard stern entry point. This is the panel that most of the streaks originate from and it also has the most /worst areas of corrosion/rust? I will get some pics to u by the weekend. BTW, thanks for your assistance in this issue! Me and the family absolutly love the boat and she has been, without a doubt, the best purchase I have every made for our family. When we decide to upgrade in the future a new Hurricane will be the only option ! We look forward to moving to Kentucky next year and getting her in some fresh water!!
  • Capt_Steve
    Interested to see the pics....that's pretty strange. Dealer can order your replacement panel when they put in the order for your changing station curtain. If you want to check on availability beforehand, you can shoot an email to Jennifer in Hurricane Parts with your Hull ID# (jstrukel@nauticglobalgroup.com). Cheaper to order through dealer, though.
  • dtbrownz71
    Capt Steve sorry for the delay in getting the pics to ya. Below are the pics of the streaking problem I am having after trailering. I will post another comment with pics of the areas of the panels that are corroding/rusting. 
  • dtbrownz71
    Capt Steve, 
    Below are the pics of the spots on the panels that are corroding /rusting. If I do not clean the spots regularly the aluminum will rust and develope the white powdery substance that is associated with aluminum corrosion. You will also notice that there are areas under the decaling that look to be rusting also.
  • Capt_Steve
    @dtbrownz71 ... passing this along to Hurricane Customer Support...stay tuned!