Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

bilge pump

pkelly
pkelly Member Posts: 1
I have had my hurricane 17 ft since 2001 and love it.  I have been having trouble with getting the bilge pump working and can't seem to get it repaired were it will work for any length of time.  Is there a manual or diagrams that will show me how this is installed and wired so I can do the work myself and to be able to repair if it gets stuck open  (it is an automatic ).  Thanks,  Pat

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey pkelly...shoot an email to Terri in Hurricane Customer Support...she has the diagram of this install (tgipson@nauticglobalgroup.com). 
  • Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26

Hey Pat and Capt Steve,

I was going to post this question, but since you brought it up... When are you suppossed to use the bilge pump anyway?   When the dealer walked me through my 2012 SS 188 OB at the time of delivery, I asked about it and he basically said, "you don't need to turn it on" but never told me exactly when you do use it.  

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@epavuk, your bilge pump (but not all have two switches)

All bilge pumps have a manual on/off switch as you'll see on your switch panel.  You can run this anytime to remove water from your bilge. 

Some (including yours) also has a float switch.  Once the water level reaches a certain level, it will automatically run and pump the water from your bilge.

Why would you run it? 

1.  Some people do it as a regular process as water won't hurt anything, but has weight to it.  So if your boat is out at its slip and it rained all week, the float switch will pump it out, but will allow some water to collect.  Manually removes more.  Water is heavy and while insignificant, why take it for a ride?

2.  To check the operation of your bilge pump.  If you manually turn it on and it doesn't run, you have a problem either in the electrical or the pump itself.  If it works, then you can test your float switch by simply filling a bunch of water into the bilge to see if it kicks in.  Good practice to ensure your bilge pump is there for you when you really need it.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    @epavuk...those float switches do go bad sometimes, so @nquirk has a great point to test manually. When on auto, bilge pump should switch on at about 2 inches of water.
  • eliterg
    eliterg Member Posts: 1
    My bilge breaker "pops" when I try to use the pump, have a 202 gs OB 2007.  Isn't working automatically when water over 2".  What should I do to fix or check?
  • Capt_Steve
    @eliterg... checking on this process for you..
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@eliterg I think (or hope) I know your problem as I've now had to do this about 5 times on mine and two other Hurricanes (BTW, its not a Hurricane problem, its simply how these little bilge pumps work)

Typically after the pumps are more than 2-3 years old, they sometimes gum up and stick.   I'm making assumptions on the model of pump you have so I apologize if I get this a little off in case you have a different model/manufacturer of pump.

Reset your breaker.  Have someone at the helm to work the switch.

Reach into the bilge,  Thee is a small clip on the side of the pump housing you need to release to allow you to turn the pump and remove it from its housing.

Once removed, manually turn the wheel on the bottom of the pump a few turns.

Then ask the person to turn the switch to the on position, and spin it again (if it isn't spinning) and be quick to remove your fingers free of the wheel.

Just the crud, etc that builds up from standing water, etc in your bilge, they tend to stick.  I just did this 3 weeks ago to mine having the exact same symptoms.

Once its working, then test your float switch.  Let us know if this works.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • philmcgo
    philmcgo Member Posts: 1
    I have  a 2019 Hurricane  188 OB that has a problem with the middle floor drain under the rear middle seat.  The repair center in Texarkana looked at it today and said the hose comes off the floor drain then goes up at a sharp angle to go over a support inside the boat then to the outside flapper. Anyone else had this problem?  May have to go to Godfrey directly with this question and see if they can tell the dealer how to fix the problem.
    Also had an issue with the fuel gauge not working and it turns out that when they made the boat someone connected the ground wire from the fuel gauge to a positive terminal on the battery along with needing a new sending unit.