Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Water in Battery/trim pump tray

Just purchased a new ss 202 inboard, had it in the water this last weekend for the maiden voyage. When coming back in to put it on the lift, slowing down, the wave came in the back of the boat, and when I went to turn off the battery, I found about 3-4 inches of water in the battery/trim pump tray with nowhere for it to go as the tray does not have a drain on it. Is there a way to prevent the water from running in, or do they make a seal to put on the battery access door?

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey Hurricane...let me check with the engineers on this one.
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Here's the response from Terri in Hurricane Customer Support: 

The compartments are not water tight – they could add some seal to help reduce the amount of water that would come into that compartment.  They could also add a small hole to this battery tray for draining.

• rgforrester
    rgforrester Member Posts: 7
    Yeah... that seemed very undesirable to me also since it sits in there for months (especially with rain adding to it.)  I decided to just drill a small hole on the side of the drain pan towards the bottom.  At least it goes into the bilge now.
    2001 GS201 Yamaha 115 OB (4 stroke)
  • cooleyo
    cooleyo Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited June 2013
    I cut the whole battery section out. The water would not only build up in the tray, but also stand underneath the tray. With the tray in the way I had no way of drying the area out. I didn't like the idea of water always being there. I resealed the screwholes for the battery trays, and used bedliner to protect the fiberglass.