Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New owner questions

tackhouse1
tackhouse1 Member Posts: 13
Hey guys,  I picked up a 2006 FunDeck over the weekend and can't wait to get this boat on the water.  I had a few questions:

The boat came with a radio and two speakers.  Looking online it appears that 4 speakers was an option.  Has anyone added two speakers to their boat?  Just wondering how hard it would be to do  (I have some experience in car audio, it looks like there would be some similarities) 

Once we got the boat home, we removed the snap in carpet for winter.  Upon removal we noticed that a few of the snaps appear to be broken.  Wondering if this is a common issue and how difficult it is to replace the snaps.

We didn't get an owners manual with the boat, Are they available electronically?  Or would I have to go to a dealer for one? 

Also the boat has a 150hp Honda outboard.  Seems like most people on this site have Mercury, Yamaha or Evinrude's.  Anyone else have a Honda?  Any experience?

Lastly the rear navigation light is broken at the swing arm, wondering if there is any place online that I can buy a new one, or if I'm best going through my local dealer?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tackhouse1
    Just wanted to add the boat is a FunDeck 218R
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@tackhouse1, first off, welcome to the forums and congratulations on being a new Hurricane owner.  You obviously have good taste in boats :D

Adding speakers is quite easy however with the FD you'll have to find a way to fish the lines somewhere inconspicuous or have them exposed.  The radios typically are a four channel deck and there should be an additional left/right rear on the harness.  I'd check that to start

The snap in carpet if its just the snap that is broken, any local chandlery will carry them or you can get them online (http://www.iboats.com/Snap-Canvas-Fasteners/dm/cart_id.406299549--session_id.324827419--view_id.39592)  Note:  You may need a set of pliers to attach the carpet side of the snaps.  (http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-73-Pc-Canvas-Snap-Kit/dm/cart_id.406299549--session_id.324827419--view_id.238030)

The Hurricane Owners Manual is generic to all Hurricane boats and provides general maintenance and safety guidance.

Send an email to Capt Steve - thecaptsteve@mail.com and request the Hurricane manual

The Honda engine you have is a great engine.  The engine is determined by the selling retailer.  If they're an authorized reseller of Mercury (like mine was) I got a Mercury.  Others have Yamaha or Evinrudes.  All of these brands are well built and reliable.  If you want more information on those, search online for the Owners or Service Manual for that specific engine or contact a reseller so you know the specifics of maintaining that specific outboard.

The stern nav light.  You can contact your dealer but if the part is generic enough you may also find it on a place like overtons.com or iboats.com.  I believe yours is attached at the bimini and those are pretty much the standard stern light for the bimini mounted Hurricanes so it should be fairly easy to get it from an Hurricane dealer.

Congratulations and enjoy your new boat.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Congrats and welcome. 

As far as speakers go, look for existing speaker cable behind the front seats. My Fundeck did not have speakers but had the cable ready to go. So adding speakers would have been easy had I kept the boat. For cutting the holes, this hole saw set should do the trick. 

For snaps, mine break all the time on the covers. Shouldn't be too hard to replace. I'm actually going to buy a bunch of them along with a snap plier. 

You can get the light online. Atwood probably makes one that would work.

Hondas are great motors. My Fundeck had a BF115. Quiet, smooth, good on fuel, and absolutely bullet proof. Started on the first try every time and ran all day without complaining. I've heard that Hondas don't perform as well as other brands since they tend to be heavier, but for the cruising nature of a boat like a Fundeck, who cares. Its fine. I've also heard that parts are more expensive for Hondas then other brands, but I wouldn't know. Mine never required any repairs. Just changed the engine and lower unit oil, filters, etc. and it kept running perfectly. My current boat has a BF130, I can only hope its as reliable as my BF115. Should be since its the exact motor with different intake. 

Hope that helps.

2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • tackhouse1
    Thanks for the info guys!  

I had two other questions.  The boat has a little pier rash on the drivers side rear corner.  The rash is just on the body, not the hull.  Just wondering what if any options I have to fix this (is replacing the body panel my only option?)  

Second is on performance.  I realize that performance will be affected by the engine (varying one brand to another) and the type of prop on the engine, but given the 150hp output what would be a ball park estimate of top speed?  

Also we're planing (hoping) to be able to do some water skiing off of this boat, which is why we wanted 150hp vs. 115hp.  Do you think we'll have any issues skiing? 
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure of the extent of the damage but is it possible to remove and have the panel fixed as opposed to replaced?  Is it just surface scratching on the aluminum panel?  I'd assume a good body shop could fix that quite easily.

On estimated top end speed.  This boat, with a 150HP (depending on its prop) should be by my guesstimation around 40-low 40s. 

You shouldn't have any problems with water skiing behind this boat. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • mlmeador
    mlmeador Member Posts: 12

I have a 200 HP Honda (2007) with my Fun Deck RE 24 foot. I got the boat 1.5 years ago with 40 hours!

No problems but do agree that, at least in the Clear Lake/Houston area, folks do not seem to have Hondas (other than the Coast Guard).  No issues - great engine....Marty