Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Difficult Steering

delhaven
delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
We have a 2014 SD 2400  IO with a 5.0 MerCruiser engine, Bravo 3 Outdrive. It's extreemly difficult to steer, especially at idle speed. I checked the power steering fluid. It's full and the drive belt is not slipping. Is this normal or should I look for some problem in the steering system?

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same engine/drive/steering system as you, I'm not experiencing hard steering as you describe and my boat has seen a few seasons.  

There are three main assemblies to your power steering system
    1) The steering wheel and cable assembly
    2) Power steering pump and fluid reservoir
    3) Hydraulic ram (actuator)

One, or a combination, of those assemblies is not functioning properly.  I would contact your dealer to evaluate the problem, I'm sure it's a warranty item.

Please let us know what the solution was to correct the problem.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• delhaven
    I'VE HAD OUTBOARDS AND DIRECT DRIVE INBOARDS. STEERING WAS ALWAYS EASY. IT TAKES BOTH ARMS TO TURN THE WHEEL ON THIS BOAT. I'M SURE THE POWER STEERING ISN'T WORKING. I'M MECHANICALLY HANDY. IS THERE A WAY FOR ME TO TROUBLE SHOOT THIS OR DO I NEED TO INVOLVE THE DEALER?
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @delhaven...checking to see if Terri has any ideas beyond having dealer check it out.
  • delhaven

Question for cjjjdeck. I had a MerCruiser tech out today. He found that the starboard engine exhaust hose is interferring with the steering ram when the wheel is turned all the way to the left. So the wheel gets stuck there. This 5.0 engine has newly designed exhaust headers. This can be fixed by changing the headers or possibly changing the hose. Probably a MerCruiser problem, but could be a Hurricane installation error. Still, once I get past that sticking point, it takes some effort to turn the wheel.

My question to you, since you have the same engine and drive. Is it easy to turn the wheel with the engine running, like automobile power steering, or is the steering a bit stiffer? As I said before, I'm used to direct drive inboard engines that have hydraulic steering or outboards that steered effortlessly.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Could that be?

• cjjjdeck
    Your hull  design is different than mine (the 3-digit models numbers have different hulls than the 4-digit model numbers), so my transom layout probably has differences in how/where components are mounted.  I had a choice of catalyst or non-catalyst 5.0L engines when I ordered my boat and chose catalyst, which is what you probably have too.  I have no interference issues at all, and frankly, nor should you.  Hurricane needs to address that problem with you.

To answer your question on the steering feel, my previous boat was an outboard with a cable operated steering system (no power).  My Hurricane steers easier and smoother that that boat did.  The steering is not as easy to turn as my car, it does have more resistance.  The boats power steering system feels more like a "power assisted" steering if that makes some sense.  With the engine off, the wheel is stiffer to turn.

• delhaven

Thanks for the reply. Looks like we have an installation problem. The steering cable retaining nut, where it enters the steering ram asembly, is scraping one side of the exhaust Y-pipe and then sticking on it's return. Not sure how to fix that other than pulling the engine and installing a spacer between the transom plate assembly/power steering unit and the exhaust Y-pipe. Terri Gipson is reviewing this with Nautic Global Engineering for their input. I must add that Terri has been extreemly responsive on this issue and I'm hoping we get it resolved soon.

• cjjjdeck
    Sounds like it to me too.  Please let us know how things work out!

• delhaven
    Have approval from Nautic Global to pull the engine and install the spacer. We'll let you know how that works out. Got to give Terri Gipson credit for moving this along so quickly.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @delhaven.  Good to hear.  And yeah, you've learned what we've all learned too.  Terri is pretty awesome to deal with.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer