Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

where can I purchase the curved stabilizer bar for my bimini top??

levmac
levmac Member Posts: 11
hello...I have been looking for the rear curved stabilizer bar for my bimini top. I have a 2013 211 (used) and it is missing that rear support pole.  I have checked on Overtons, West Marine, ect.  any help with the part number or where I can get that piece??  Also...anyone know how many gallons the fresh water holding tank is in the 211?  need to add a bit of bleach to keep clean but do not want to add too much.  thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• levmac
    Thanks for the info...I will try and go through the dealer for that part. Unfortunately... even though my used (new to me) boat is a 2013, Hurricane does not provide a transferrable warranty. So I am on my own for the boat (although I was able to transfer the Yamaha O/B warranty) and any repairs.  I really wish Hurricane would reconsider that warranty issue. I don't think that is a very well known fact that the warranty in nontransferable  because even the Hurricane dealer I purchased the boat from incorrectly advised me that I would have the remainder of the factory warranty...which was a huge selling point. I love the boat...just would sleep better at night if I had a warranty.  Also...thanks for the info on the fresh water tank.  I will try your formula for the bleach mixture. 
  • callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭

Levmac,

MY SD2000 did not have a curved bimini support rod, so I cut a piece of stainless and installed a straight one and it works fine. I'll try to find a jpeg and attach to this message. I used quick release clevis pins on both the top and the Hull for mounting the support rod.

The only picture I could find of it isn't very good, but you can get the general idea of what it looks like. Good luck!

callforbids

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @levmac ... you should be able to get that support rod through the dealer with no problem. 

On the non-transferable warranty, that seems pretty standard for boats mainly due to the unfortunate truth that some people just don't take good care of their boats. Some folks just leave them outside, uncovered, uncleaned and unmaintained. Kind of tough to warranty something like that you don't have any control of. 
  • levmac
    thanks for the info on the pole. On the warranty issue... I understand the reason why the warranty is nontransferable...It is unfortunate that a lot of people do not take care of their boats and I see the point but you would think that the motor manufactures would be the ones most concerned with having to honor a warranty from a previous owner not the hull manufacturer.  I have seen plenty of new owners trash their new boat!  either way...it is what it is.  I was able to save some money going used instead of new so that should off set any expense of something going wrong( minus a major hull issue).  And Hurricane has such a great boat...I serious doubt that would ever happen.  Besides...I guess if I was all that concerned with not having warranty...I should have shucked out the money and bought a new hurricane.
  • callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭

Don't know what kind of engine your Hurricane has, but I believe all the motor manufactures allow transferring of the remaining warranty to a new owner.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Mercury is one manufacturer that allows transfer to a new owner.  Not sure what power you have, but here's what's stated on their site just as an FYI.  As "callforbids" states, I'm sure our manufacturers do the same:

If I purchase a used engine or boat from someone, can the warranty be transferred to me?

To transfer the remaining factory warranty into the new owner’s name, please fax a copy of the bill of sale to 920-907-6663, email to registration_support@mercmarine.com, or mail to:

Mercury Marine
    Registration & Warranty Dept.
    P.O. Box 1939
    Fond du Lac, WI  54936-1939

Be sure the following information is included on your bill of sale:

• Date the engine was purchased
    • Engine serial number
    • Your name and address
    • Your telephone number
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• levmac
    hey guys...thanks for the comments.  I have a 2013 Yamaha 150 OB.  I was able to transfer the motor warranty but not the hull warranty which would have been nice. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed nothing major goes wrong.  thanks again
  • cdrny12
    cdrny12 Member Posts: 8
    I too am having trouble finding this curved 1" stainless stabilizer bar.  I have tried the dealers around and have had no luck.  I realize that one could cut a pole to length but with this being straight it would limit ones ability to easily access the rear of the boat.  Fortunately my hardware is still mounted I am just missing this curved bar.  Now I know why it was taken.
  • cjjjdeck
    Welcome to the Hurricane Owners forum!

Just an FYI, since this thread is a year old, we usually like new threads to be started even though the subject is the same, no harm done.

I have some questions.  What year and model Hurricane do you have?  Did you contact a Hurricane dealer, if you did, what did they actually tell you about ordering the part?  

Hurricane has been using that curved support for a long time (my boat has it as well), I'm confused if you haven't been successful in obtaining one from a dealer.

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    I had just assumed the reason for the curve was to absorb a little shock. Rethinking it, aside from providing room for access, I suspect the curvature makes it easier for everything to fit, as if it wasn't curved, the side support poles and the rear pole lengths would have to be nearly perfect. With the curve, there's a tad of "stretch/shrink" designed in, so if the lengths are within, say, an eighth of an inch of perfect, all three should attach fairly easily. But I'm just speculating, based on wrestling with attaching the poles some days and imagining if there was no elasticity in the system. Those lengths can't be made perfect relative to each other at all temperatures, either, since the short support poles will change overall length less than the long one over a range of temperatures.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• cdrny12
    cdrny12 Member Posts: 8
    cjjjdeck said:
    Welcome to the Hurricane Owners forum!

Just an FYI, since this thread is a year old, we usually like new threads to be started even though the subject is the same, no harm done.

I have some questions.  What year and model Hurricane do you have?  Did you contact a Hurricane dealer, if you did, what did they actually tell you about ordering the part?  

Hurricane has been using that curved support for a long time (my boat has it as well), I'm confused if you haven't been successful in obtaining one from a dealer.
    It is a 2006 195 SD with an outboard motor.  Yes, I went a Hurricane dealer to inquire as to this curved bar to stabilize the bimini.  He told me to try a canvas shop.
    I went to the canvas shop that he suggested.  It was closed.
    I tried other dealers.  They told me it would have to come from a Hurricane dealer.

I too am confused and frustrated as to the run around I have been given in obtaining this bar.  I have seen this bar on many a Hurricanes younger and older than mine.  I have surfed the web endlessly looking with no luck.

I do not know why it is soooo difficult to find this part.

• cjjjdeck
    I contacted my dealer and he believes that pole section is the same for your year boat as the ones they are using on the newer boats(even my SD237).  He has never encountered a different size/length for different models.  So if you order one, for let's say a newer SD 187, there is a very good chance that it should fit.  The reason that the dealer probably told you to go to a canvas shop might be  because Hurricane only has upholstery and top patterns for 2008 and up model years.  That might be why he was reluctant to order one for you.  Maybe it's worth a shot to have the dealer order one.

• Pseudomind
    Pseudomind Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

I am not sure if this will help but do a Google search  for bending aluminum without kinking it. One process is to fill with sand and then seal each end with a wine bottle cork.  Another method is to fill the pole with the expanding insulating  spray foam sold at Home Depot, Lowe's etc.  Then once you have the pole bent, remove the foam with acetone.  I am having to replace a plastic end cap which broke.  Look under information below.

Here is some additional information,

Go Here and have a look for hardware, my curved pole is 44 inches long and 7/8 inch outside diameter and I have verified this as I ordered two SS end caps which fit nicely,

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/newststdehi.html

2011 Hurricane Sundeck 187 OB

2002 Sea Ray Sundancer 380

• Pseudomind
    Pseudomind Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    This may help as well if you could lay this 44 inch long by 7/8 inch outside diameter pole down on a flat surface and grab it in the center pulling it up towards you, you would want the pole to measure 6 inches from the ground to the outside of the pole at the center. Or 7/8 inch diameter pole and then 5 1/8 inches from pole underside to the ground.

2011 Hurricane Sundeck 187 OB

2002 Sea Ray Sundancer 380