Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How do I replace Bimini top mounts?

Options
mike8219
mike8219 Member Posts: 2
I recently purchased a 2008 Sundeck 2200. I need to replace several Bimini top mount fittings since inner black sleeves are missing or damaged which does not allow for a secure mount. Fittings are mounted with machine screws and nuts. How do I access below the deck on each side of the boat to attach the nuts?

Best Answer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@mike8219, I'm wishing I had a better answer but most of those hardware pieces are fastened to the cap prior to it being installed on the hull.

One consideration is removing the old ones, and fastening the new ones with a butterfly style nut that opens when inserted through the hole to fasten to the back as you cannot access them from within the hull.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer

Answers

• mike8219
    mike8219 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you have to use anchoring hardware, then there's an anchoring product made by Toggler, called the Snaptoggle that I frequently suggest.  I like this product for two reasons:

1) You don't lose the nut if you need to remove the bolt anytime in the future
    2) It's available in stainless steel

I've seen some manufacturers of pedestal seats include these in their installation hardware for the base plate.  The minimum size hole you have to have to use these is 1/2", which is still smaller than some other anchoring hardware.  Here's a link to their website if you're interested:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer