Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How to reattach the Bimini support brackets to rails?

Lawnie
Lawnie Member Posts: 4
Reconditioning a 2004 237 FunDeck GS. The bimini rails are not anchored to the round stainless steel rails on the deck. Marina manager told me they take allen screws? Has anyone replaced these screws? Looks like a really tight area to work? 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure with the 2004 237 model and I may be misunderstanding what you're describing (posting pictures always help for us more confused individuals), but most 237 models I've seen do not use the tubular handrails as mounting points for the bimini top.  The bimini has its support hardware directly mounted to the upper hull surfaces.  I'm attaching a picture that shows most mounting points on a 2010-ish SD237.  I don't think the 237 hull design has changed very much over the years.

Hope this helps the discussion.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Lawnie
    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, in the 2004, 4 of the 6 brackets are attached to the round rail that runs from mid-ship to stern. The stainless steel brackets "wrap" around the rail, and are secured by a set screw. Over 10 years, the allen wrench set screw is frozen in the bracket. One suggestion was to drill into the bracket and put a stainless steel rivet where you want the bimini support poles fixed. ( this came from a canvas / upholstery tech that runs a shop here on Marco Island. I see no better alternative at this time. 
    Here is a photo of the set-up from a 2004 237 GS Fundeck. 
  • cjjjdeck
    Got it, thanks for the pic!  First time I've seen that setup on a SD237.

I'm not sure how the original brackets were installed on the rail, especially since the rail doesn't seem to have an "open end" to slide them off of that I can see.  Maybe they were installed prior to the rail assembly being completed?  If the set screws are frozen and the brackets are sliding when they shouldn't (if that describes your issue), are you at least able to rotate the bracket on the rail to better access the set screw?  This way you might have better luck either working or drilling them out so they can be replaced.  You certainly can drill an additional hole into the bracket (and railing underneath, if you prefer) and install a screw or rivet like you stated and that may end up your easiest option.

If not, I did see a alternative stainless steel "hinged" rail bracket that might work better in the long term.  I guess you'd have to cut the problem brackets off or slide them out of the way to use one of these.  They certainly would be easier to replace or service if they ever needed to be.

Hope I'm being helpful here.....

Here's the link:

• callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭

You might be able to remove the set screw after spraying the screw with "Break Free" or "Penetrol" or "Fabulous Blaster". I think you can find those products at automotive parts stores or www.BlasterCorp.com for the last one.

Steve

• Lawnie
    Wow, it appears to replace the existing brackets with the hinged brackets pictured in the Overton's catalog may be the answer. Very helpful, thanks for your time.....Happy New Year! 

Ps. Before ordering new brackets, I will try the "break free" products mentioned by callforbids. If I can use the existing brackets, it will save me buying four new brackets at $35 each? 
    Either way, I believe I have the answer to my problem. Thanks to You both. Great forum!  
  • cjjjdeck
    Best of luck on the reconditioning.  Let us know how you made out and post some pics!