Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

engine type for sun deck sport 188

bahtendah
bahtendah Member Posts: 0
I am looking at buying a 2014 sun deck sport 188 and would like some help figuring out the engine type that would work out best for me.  The outboard options are a Yamaha 115 or 150.  The i/o is a 225 merc.  Just came back from a boat show and they had both i/o and outboard there and the set up is a lot different for both boats.  I will be using it on a lake for the usual stuff and towing watersports like skiing and wake boarding.  Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    I would google outboard vs. I/O and begin reading.  Many on either side.  A lot will depend on your location, and if saltwater.  It is really an individual decision based on your circumstances.

I had an I/O, now have OB.  In TN there are times during the winter where it is warm enough to boat.  My boat stays on a lift so with an OB I can just drop it and go.  With an I/O I would have to re-winterize if I did this.  One thing to look at is usable space difference in the boat.  In my case I had a 24 ft GS 248 I/O and went to a 21 ft SD 217 OB with very little loss in usable space.

If it were my situation, I would favor the 150hp OB.  You may be in a situation where you would trailer, and could never boat during the winter and the I/O will be just fine (and possibly more powerful).
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you what I like on my I/O setup.  When it comes to watersports, the full length swim platform on an I/O setup is a big convenience.  It's also convenient for ingress/egress and comfortably accessing the battery compartment and engine compartment.  The SS188 OB has a maximum HP rating of 200, so you would gain power with the I/O.  You would also have the option of getting a Bravo 3 drive (unless you're looking at a in-stock boat) which has a number of performance advantages (I'm very glad I made that drive choice with my boat).

Click on the link below to read son additional comments on the subject, if you haven't already read this thread:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• aaa1950
    aaa1950 Member Posts: 19
    I have the 115 OB and it works fine. But it's slow to plane either pulling a tube with extra people on board. I suggest looking at the 150 OB. I think I would have gone that route if I had been able to at the time. If you do go with the 115 I would suggest a prop other than the stock 13 1/4 x 17. I'm looking at changing out my prop before this spring if I can determine which replacement is best. I would suggest also upgrading the stock steering and throttle. You may have to do that with a 150, I'm not sure about that. Stock steering is a little hard at low speeds and the stock throttle will have issues if it's like mine and others I've read about.  With that being said, I still think my Hurricane is one heck of a boat. Just needs a few little tweaks. 
  • TNriver
    TNriver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

I have a SS188 with a 150 Yamaha and absolutely love it. It has plenty of power for the boat. I have even heard the Yamaha 150 4-stroke is closer to 163 instead of 150. Even loaded down and the performance is still great. My old boat that was about the same size and had a 4.3L 4barrel I/O that was great and had nice power. I did love my 4.3L and never had a problem with it.  So it is a matter of choice. Either are great options

Another thing to consider is the HP on a outboard is rated at the prop shaft and a I/O is rated at the crankshaft instead.

There are several reasons I opted for the 4-stroke 150 versus the 4.3L I/O this time.  I am a taller larger guy and it is harder for me to get down in the bilge to service an I/O. On my OB I can pop off the cowl and change oil and service everything while I am standing there and not have to get in the boat. I use my boat on the TN river during the winter months sometimes and I don't have to worry about taking everything loose and winterizing it when I am done. The OB has a shallower draft when I go fishing or access a boat slip in the small tight creeks off the main body of water. The OB seems significantly quitter than my 4.3 I/O as well.

The one thing  I don't have is a larger swim platform. but I have the deck in front and plenty of room on the back for my needs.

2013 SS188 OB

Yamaha F150

Heritage Single Axle Trailer

• aaa1950
    Just curious, what prop would everyone recommend for bahtendar regardless of the engine he selects?
  • TNriver
    TNriver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

Hey aaa1950, it depends on the boat size, motor, brand of propeller, load, and use. There are so many factors involved. I have the Reliance SS 14-1/4" x17" for a 4-stroke Yamaha150.  I am looking into a 4blade for better hold in the corners and more bite out of the hole.

aaa1950, I think you would do better with a 13-1/4" x15 to get more low end for pulling tubes or skis.  In a similar size boat with a I/O 4.3L, a Turbo prop 21" pitch worked great for water skiers.

Hope this helps!

2013 SS188 OB

Yamaha F150

Heritage Single Axle Trailer

• aaa1950
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • jerry226
    jerry226 Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a 2006 Fundeck 188. It has a 130 hp Yamaha . There is still ice on the water so cant try it out. I hope the 130 is enough motor. The boat  is quite heavy.

2006 Hurricane 188

2003 Yamaha 130 hp

2004 Trailmaster tandom axle with surge brakes

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @jerry226, many folks have those boats (FD 188 or the current SS188) with 115HP so 130 will move the boat nicely.  a fully loaded boat combined with watersports may be a bit much, but for most purposes, it'll get the job done.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • jerry226
    jerry226 Member Posts: 15
    We went boating this weekend with max compacity 1400 lb. The 130 Yamaha did a great job. I have the stock prop and if I got a 4 blade I believe it would be even better. The motor is so quiet it is hard to tell if its running at idle. I am very pleased with the Hurricane.

2006 Hurricane 188

2003 Yamaha 130 hp

2004 Trailmaster tandom axle with surge brakes

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @jerry226.... that's awesome to hear.  The 4 blade will get you on plane quicker but will compromise your top end speed by a few MPH but the pros outweight that con in my opinion.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • JOSHDOLPHINS1
    JOSHDOLPHINS1 Member Posts: 15
    No question go with the 150.
    I have the 188 with an evinrude 150 and love it. We tube all the time.