Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trolling Motor mount for SD2400 IO

tborgert
tborgert Member Posts: 3
I recently purchased a 2014 SD2400 IO and would like to mount a trolling motor to it.  I see that there is an option for the trolling motor harness with plug when you are building one out.  My dealer is having a hard time figuring out where/how to mount a trolling motor.  I am just trying to find out if 1) this is possible. 2) where would the mount go and 3) how long of a shaft is needed?

Thanks,
Tim B.

Answers

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @tborgert... .Here is a great starting point with some pictures and links of many of us doing the same thing on our Hurricanes.

While these boats vary, you'll get some great info and tips on how we achieved it.

Searching for trolling motor on this forum will most likely point you to some other threads.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • tborgert
    The problem is that this is an SD2400 the front is a little bit different than the sun decks shown.  the bow protrudes out a little bit more and my dealer is having issues figuring out how to mount a trolling motor with that in mind.  also has anyone mounted batteries on the starboard side of the engine compartment?  right now I have 2 batteries mounted on the port side and if I am able to get the trolling motor mounted I need to have 3 more batteries installed and they are worried about battery placement.  they want to put the batteries on the port side but are worried about the boat listing to port.

Thanks,
    Tim B.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I see your dilemma.  I went with the 80lb 24V motor so I wouldn't have the extra weight (in batteries) of using the 36V.  My under deck spacing was more fortunate as my three batteries (I use AGM's so they are "extra" heavy) that are placed on my port side has some balancing out from the fresh water tank on the starboard side (which I try to keep full just for balancing reasons).  Got lucky, no listing.  A fourth battery might have changed it without relocating it.  Also, I don't use my trolling motor really for "trolling" (it does pull 2.5+/- mph), mostly for maneuvering, so the 80 lbs thrust works great for my purposes. 

I also see that the anchor locker on your model has a larger size door, which would have you positioning the trolling motor near the midpoint of the port side of the deck.  Although that position might make the boat maneuver a bit strange, you really don't have much in the way of mounting options. 

There is one other option.  Although it doesn't give you all the newer GPS technology advantages (which I love on my motor), if just going along at trolling speed is all you are wanting, you could consider the engine mount design that MinnKota offers instead of the bow mount.

Here's the link if you're interested:

Please keep us posted what you decide and how you make out with this!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• tborgert
    looked at the motor mount but we run into the issue that you cannot fully raise the prop with it mounted.
    as far as mounting positions I think it would be fine putting the trolling mount on the port side probably use one of the removable type mounts so that I can easily remove the trolling motor when we are not out fishing.  big concern is weight of the trolling motor based on how far out the bow protrudes and where we need to put the mounting bracket.  not sure where to go to see if this is possible or if I am just not going to be able to use a trolling motor.