Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

What props are people running on their SS188 OB w/ Yamaha F150

TNriver
TNriver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

I am curious to what props other SS188 owners are running with a Yamaha F150.

I only pulled one slalom skier this summer, since it was a end of the season boat purchase. I was ust wondering what other combinations people have tried with the same boat/ engine combination. Any 4 blades?

I am currently running the Yamaha Reliance SS 17"pitch now. Performance is good for general use with a moderate load. I can hit 45-47mph GPS depending on my load.

2013 SS188 OB

Yamaha F150

Heritage Single Axle Trailer

Comments

• longlake
    longlake Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    TNriver, Look forward to what others have to weigh in on this.  I just purchased a 2014 188 with the F150 Yammy also.  Gonna be a long winter till I can dip it in some Minnesota water.
  • allang
    allang Member Posts: 5
    I have the 2014 188 ob with the 150 yamaha with the 17 inch prop on it. I was thinking about trying the 18 inch my rpms are on the high side @ 6000 even see 6100 if trimmed all the way up I need to talk to the dealer when I bring it in for service. They said they can put it on the computer and see what's its been doing as far as rpm goes. I just wish they would let me try a higher pitch prop and see how it does. I will let you know what they say.
  • TNriver

I can hit the same rpm levels you are with the 17 pitch running a light/moderate load (2-4 adults, normal gear, full tank). 

Loaded down it seems pitched about right with the 17 pitch (8 adults, large cooler, extra gear, full tank). I still hit 45 mph gps at 6000rpm

I think the SS 17 pitch is about perfect for normal use; however, I did not get a chance to pull many skiers since it was the end of season. I did pull a 3 person tube with no problem, other than having to watch my blowout in turns. I have a SE300 planing plate on the engine for decreased planing speeds and less blowout. The plate did make a difference in performance. The tabs were not an option for me for other reasons.

I was hoping someone has tried a 4 blade with around the same pitch. I have had good luck with Turbo brand props in the past. I figure a 4 blade equivalent will drop the rpms a little bit. The added blade will give more bite for slalom skiers and hold in the corners better with a tube.

I can give up a little speed, but I don't want to lose too much cruising speed or top end. I travel long distances along the river.

2013 SS188 OB

Yamaha F150

• TNriver
    Bump....Any 4 blades on a SS188 with a Yamaha F150?

2013 SS188 OB

Yamaha F150

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I have a 217 SD with the same f150 4 Yamaha 4 stroke.  The 217 is a little larger than a 188, but close in weight.  I'm using a Power Tech MQS4 SS 15p prop on my boat.  This prop dropped the rpms from 6000, which is where I was at with the 17p Yamaha Reliance SS prop down to around 5600-5700 rpms.  My guess is that this prop would work very well on the 188.  

I lost 2-3 mph off my top speed, but since my wife will rarely let me run full throttle, it doesn't really matter. ;)  My hole shot was definitely improved, which is good for towing wake boarders and skiers, which is what I'm primarily doing now with my boat.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner